Counter pressure can filler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nope I’m talking about the can filler attachment for the tapcooler counter pressure filler

1599012237913.jpeg

Has anyone else bought one from Keg King?
I can’t find it on their website :question:
Told that Fedex had left one package behind but think its on the way in finally. Should be on website shortly. This has been one long saga gents and I apologise that I could not get it any quicker for you. Hopefully our new procurement system will overcome this so its not going to happen again.

Ok Null but don’t hold your breath as it will only get built over the next week or so
I’m using a 2’ long quick grip bar clamp as I will also be filling 2Lt growlers as well as cans. I’m making it so that I can fill 330 - 500 ml cans
It is also being done in stainless (except for the quick grip clamp)
Pic’s of the parts to be used at present
View attachment 118540
Got mine made up but I’m going to re-orientate it by 90deg as the clamp flexes a little bit sideways, so I’ll move it to be inline with the clamp
Otherwise it is working well however, I wouldn’t advise making one if you had to purchase the clamp as they would cost quite a bit (have seen some of these in this length (I wanted it to lift high so I can get my 2Lt growler under it) for around the $70 mark) but you maybe able to get away with a shorter clamp if you were only doing cans
The cutting (The hole for the silicone bung) and Welding could also be a cost if you couldn’t do it yourself
The bung works well for me as the top of the growler and the opening of the cans are different diameter
Also with the bing just pressed in the hole This allows for some self seating due to the hole thing maybe not being as square as it would otherwise need to be
66B23A8C-BD52-49CF-8F45-EBC4E784BE3C.jpeg

Got mine made up but I’m going to re-orientate it by 90deg as the clamp flexes a little bit sideways, so I’ll move it to be inline with the clamp
Otherwise it is working well however, I wouldn’t advise making one if you had to purchase the clamp as they would cost quite a bit (have seen some of these in this length (I wanted it to lift high so I can get my 2Lt growler under it) for around the $70 mark) but you maybe able to get away with a shorter clamp if you were only doing cans
The cutting (The hole for the silicone bung) and Welding could also be a cost if you couldn’t do it yourself
The bung works well for me as the top of the growler and the opening of the cans are different diameter
Also with the bing just pressed in the hole This allows for some self seating due to the hole thing maybe not being as square as it would otherwise need to beView attachment 118989
Ok I’ve changed the orientation of the head and am now very happy with it
Works just like a bought one😀😀
C36103C2-1D41-4475-83C4-04E77B8E2C49.jpeg
C36103C2-1D41-4475-83C4-04E77B8E2C49.jpeg

Yeah I see that it is hard to notice the difference
Originally I had the top out to the side of the clamp but with pressure down on it it tended to push down unevenly
By putting the in-line with the clamp head it now pushes down flatter
The problem is that I couldn’t get the pressure directly over the center of the bung like the tapcooler one is

Yeah I see that it is hard to notice the difference
Originally I had the top out to the side of the clamp but with pressure down on it it tended to push down unevenly
By putting the in-line with the clamp head it now pushes down flatter
The problem is that I couldn’t get the pressure directly over the center of the bung like the tapcooler one is
Ok guys after building my counter pressure can filler, I have given it a couple of runs canning beer
I’m still fiddling around with getting a good seal on what’s being filled (growler, can, bottle or jar. (I use a clear glass jar to watch the amount of foam that I’m getting before filing cans or growlers))
It is working a treat. Still getting the required bit of foam in the top of the beer which is good to stop oxygen ingress
I’ve been carving at 20psi to the keg and transferring at that pressure. Seems to be carving to the can really well
Cost me in the vicinity of $30-40 To build (but I had most of the stuff at home)

Anyone used the canning station with the 500mL Kegland cans and does it all fit ok?

As the distributor for Tapcooler products I just want to register disgust. Tapcooler is a very small but very decent business in Norway. The guy put in his own money, worked hard to build this product only to now see it copied and offered by people who make all their stuff in China. As I said it is just disgusting.

I haven't been in to bressure brewing for long but it's the first time I've seen a counter pressure filler like this! Seems far more surperior than any others.

Seems far more surperior than any others.
The one in the Youtube clip looks easy to use, but you can't fill all that high given the angle you need to remove the bottle. So when you remove the bottle you're allowing oxygen to enter...

Not sure it'll be any better for minimising oxygen than a beer gun TBH

The bottles are purged at the start, so the neck is full of CO2. Yes it's not a hard barrier but little oxygen would get in. It'd be be better to fill it faster and make a foam layer as well.
Some taller posts so you could slide the head up high enough to have the dip tube above the bottle and something to lock it down into place on the bottle would sort the tipping issue out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back