Could It Be Infected?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munut

Reaction score
Hi guys,

made a beer to this recipe and it reminds me of Banana

1 can Coopers Draught
1kg Light Dried Malt
300g Golden Syrup
25g Goldings Hop Pellets
250g Dried Malt Additive
Kit Yeast
Dissolve the can contents, malt and golden syrup in the fermenter. To make life easier with the dried malt additive, put it in a jug, pour boiling water over it and stir to dissolve it. If you use water that isn't boiling it will clump into a big ball that will be next to impossible to dissolve. Add to the fermenter. Ferment as per the T.H.B.S. instructions. Two days before bottling steep the hop pellets in 200ml of hot water for 15 mins. Strain into the fermenter. Allow to stand for 2 days then bottle as normal. Leave to mature for 3-6 months for a good result (if you can't wait that long try 4 weeks, but 3-6 months will be much better).

While I wouldn't say its bad it just hasn't come out how I expected. Its meant to be a golden ale.
A guy at work said banana flavours are a bad sign and now I have this stuck in my head.

What are your thoughts?

What temperature was it fermented at ? I've heard that fermenting at temperatures over 22C can lead to banana flavours.
Doesn't necessarily mean that it is infected tho.

What temperature was it fermented at ? I've heard that fermenting at temperatures over 22C can lead to banana flavours.
Doesn't necessarily mean that it is infected tho.

A round about 22 but so are all my others and haven't had this.

I thought infected brews tasted real bad, like you would just chuck it out bad?

This also didn't come out as full flavoured as I thought it would.

Its also fairly sweet could it be the golden syrup?

Read this:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...na+esters\

While there seems to be a bit of debate about it and it is a different kit and yeast it might have something that helps you out.

:icon_offtopic: What odds will someone give me that the "infected by bum" joke will get re-used in Chappo's bum screen-shot thread?

Munut,

Banana flavours are banana flavours. Not a bad thing if you are doing a wheat beer. Many people chase that flavour. The flavour of your beer will change over time. You might have the greatest beer ever.
A lot of malt and golden syrup = a sweet beer.
22C ferment temp will add some banana.
If your not vomiting, then it it's not infected. Just a sweet beer...
Don't panic.
Just drink it and adjust your recipe if you don't want it that sweet in the future.

Cheers

I think it could be the yeast and heat situation. It did infact get hotter than 22. although the house was a constant temp this one initally took off really fast and foamed out the air lock like a volcano generating a bit more heat than my others. Once the foaming subsided it droped back to 22 which seams to be where I manage too keep most my brews during fermentation.

Oh well like I said its not bad so I'll just call it Golden Banana Ale from now on and my friends will think it's really clever that I made it taste like banana with out putting any bananas in it ;) .

Thanks guys.

Banana flavour seems to be passing with every additional taste :lol: . I think this is due to kegging too early and the yesties that would have usually settled to the bottom of the fermenter have now settled to the bottom of the keg and are being drawn off in the first tastings. Only taken approx 1.5L from keg so far. Will see how it gos, may brew again and give longer in primary.

I've had about 4 out of 70 of my brews ferment smelling like bananas,mainly darker beers and also had a bit of the fruity flavour when young(only come across it with bottles).The beer was fine and more than drinkable and just got better with age :icon_chickcheers: I believe it only happened when the ferment temp. was a bit high FWIW :party:

Hi Munut- I keg regularly now and dependable on the style, I ferment out for 5-7 days, rack off into a sanitised secondary fermenter for a further 7-10 days. Crash chill down to 3 degrees in the last 2 days so once kegged and hooked to Co2 it will carbonate from the word go and I can control the carbonation level. Beer can only absorb co2 once chilled and have overgassed kegs by not knowing exactly when the beer starting absorbing beer.
Leaving for extended periods particularly in the secondary fermenter off the sediment(trub) assists in further settling without the creation of off flavours from the cake on the bottom. I also now after some toxic brews have a temp controlled ferment fridge set to around 19-20C. Do a search on this forum for temp controllers and there is plenty of help from the community. At least you get to perfect your brews by brewing more!
BradS

[/quote]

Sorry for wasting every ones time.
I think what I said in my last post must have been true.
Bananas? maybe if your looking for it.
Has a nice hop flavour, the goldings are quiet noticeable open the first mouth full but not over powering and then blend in after half a glass.
Colour has improved 10 fold and SWMBO said its the best Ive made.
Still a bit of a newbie so hit the panic button early but will give this one longer in the fermenter next time around.
At least everyone conviced me early that it wasn't infection, Thanks.

Sorry for wasting every ones time.
I think what I said in my last post must have been true.
Bananas? maybe if your looking for it.
Has a nice hop flavour, the goldings are quiet noticeable open the first mouth full but not over powering and then blend in after half a glass.
Colour has improved 10 fold and SWMBO said its the best Ive made.
Still a bit of a newbie so hit the panic button early but will give this one longer in the fermenter next time around.
At least everyone conviced me early that it wasn't infection, Thanks.
We all hit the panic button over something or other.
The main rule to remember is Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew
Great to hear it's come good in the end.

Latest posts

Back