Cost Of Pbw And Oxyper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowie in space

Reaction score
When I was living in Melbourne I got G&G to make me up a 5kg bag of oxyper which cost me $35. It lasted me about a year, maybe a bit more I can't exactly remember, but it was a long time.

Now I've run out and looking at PBW which is $79 for 3.6kgs. Oxyper always worked well for me, never had a problem or any infections, etc. How can PBW be any better? Why is it so much more expensive?

Bowie

Isn't Oxyper just a form of Sodium Percarbonate? If you go to a catering / cleaning supplies company you can get a 20 or 25k (forget which just at the moment) sack of pure perc for around $100 - I sourced one for a bulk buy on perc last year but the guys weren't interested at that time as someone else had done a bulkie outside of AHB and hadn't emailed me - boo hoo sob :huh:
However I can confirm that perc is easily available in those quantities and prices, no need to pay seven bucks a kilo

When I was living in Melbourne I got G&G to make me up a 5kg bag of oxyper which cost me $35. It lasted me about a year, maybe a bit more I can't exactly remember, but it was a long time.

Now I've run out and looking at PBW which is $79 for 3.6kgs. Oxyper always worked well for me, never had a problem or any infections, etc. How can PBW be any better? Why is it so much more expensive?

Bowie

Batz posted a link to making your own PBW here

PBW has surfactants, and other shit that I cant remember, in it as well.

Batz posted a link to making your own PBW here
Or following the links through to their patent: http://www.google.com/patents?id=yVMgAAAAE...p;q&f=false

40% sodium percarbonate
30% sodium metasilicate
8% chelate (derived from carboxylic or phosphoric acid)
The rest is sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate or similar.

Personally I just use sodium percarbonate, which I purchased in bulk for a bulk buy:
sodiumperc.jpg

... next time, might be worth mixing a few more things in. ;)

Yup that's the one - note it says "coated" which means that every grain has been "skinned over" with something to make sure the oxygen in the perc doesn't interact with moisture in the air escape out prematurely. That's precisely what oxyper is.

25k - IIRC the price quoted was more like $90 ish so that would put it in the mid three dollars per kilo. I said $100 to adjust for possible price increase since last time, but with the dollar it might be a nice price nowadays.

Latest posts

Back