Corruptive Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coincidentally, I've just received an email from a guy I work with about Gruit as an aphrodisiac and Hops as a cause of Brewer's Droop.
He's cited a bit from this site: Fall of Gruit

To pinch what he pinched:
"To understand why hops replaced gruit it is important keep in mind the properties of gruit ale: it is highly intoxicating and aphrodisiacal when consumed in sufficient quantity. Gruit ale stimulates the mind, creates euphoria and enhances sexual drive. Hopped ale is quite different. Contemporary scientific research has conclusively demonstrated that hops contains large quantities of estrogenic and soporific compounds. In fact hops has been used for many thousands of years in traditional medical practice as a natural estrogen replacement therapy and to help insomniacs sleep. The high level of plant estrogens in hops makes hopped beer an extremely good drink for women in menopause but also makes it a very bad drink for men. Consumption by men of large levels of estrogenic compounds can lead to erection problems later in life. In fact, there is a well-known condition in England called Brewer's Droop which is regularly contracted by bartenders and brewers after years of exposure to hopped beers and ales."

I mentioned the fallacy of the Fosters' Flop, because some research recently debunked that: Alcohol improves performance

Also that hops work as a preservative. That's when he mentioned the Protestants trying to control Gruit and they wrote up something that could be described as the first drug control law.
In essence, "This guy (Buhner) argues that the bavarian purity laws were actually introduced by the protestants in order to sedate the population with the more dulling hops rather than the excitation effect of the gruit. That's his argument anyway."

So, rather than put up with someone bashing beer, because of hops, does anyone know where to get some Gruit? :)

Back