Corny keg troubleshoot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killer Brew

Reaction score
Wanting to dip a toe in the water of kegging and managed to cobble together a mix of equipment from mates who had extras. All i needed to get was a gas and beer push on connections for the corny keg i was given. Cleaning out the keg today with some hot water and thought i would run some through the lines to test everything out.

Gassed up just fine however on the out side i'm not getting any liquid through into the tap lines. If i push in the out valve the water hits the garage roof so pressure is there! I pulled apart the coupler, put back together, pushed on as firmly as possible....still nothing. Im assuming a faulty coupler but is there anything else i should consider before i take it back to the LHBS and request a replacement?

Two obvious things to check.
1 - are you putting the disconnects on the appropriate posts gas on gas in, beer on beer out and

2 - are they clicking into place properly?

If you've done the checks that manticle mentioned and still no flow, you could try disconnecting the beer line from either the disconnect or the tap/gun.
That will prove if the problem is at the post/disconnect side or in the tap itself.
Hope that's not stating the bleedin' obvious?

manticle said:
Two obvious things to check.
1 - are you putting the disconnects on the appropriate posts gas on gas in, beer on beer out and
2 - are they clicking into place properly?
Took the white gas connect straight from pack and attached no issue. The beer connector is black so am certain i havent mixed them. Not hearing it click in but am pushing in as hard as possible.

Crakkers said:
If you've done the checks that manticle mentioned and still no flow, you could try disconnecting the beer line from either the disconnect or the tap/gun.
That will prove if the problem is at the post/disconnect side or in the tap itself.
Hope that's not stating the bleedin' obvious?
No, its not. Will try taking off the line and seeing if i get any flow out of the disconnect. Thanks.

Killer Brew said:
Took the white gas connect straight from pack and attached no issue. The beer connector is black so am certain i havent mixed them. Not hearing it click in but am pushing in as hard as possible.
You can gas through the beer post. Beer out through gas post will only happen if the keg is super full and super gassy or shaken up.
Gas post should have indents or star type wrinkles if it's ball lock.

Do you have keg lube?
Can you easily remove the black without pulling the lower rim upwards?

Can you fill the black disconnect with liquid, hold it up high, aperture facing the ceiling/roof/sky, depress the nozzle inside and see if liquid transfers to the beer line?

manticle said:
You can gas through the beer post. Beer out through gas post will only happen if the keg is super full and super gassy or shaken up.
Gas post should have indents or star type wrinkles if it's ball lock.
Do you have keg lube?
Can you easily remove the black without pulling the lower rim upwards?
Can you fill the black disconnect with liquid, hold it up high, aperture facing the ceiling/roof/sky, depress the nozzle inside and see if liquid transfers to the beer line?
The tap is definitely connected to the out post, can see the dip tube. Dont have any keg lube but the connect seems to come on and off ok. For that last part are you saying disconnect it from the keg, put some water in there, hold up high and depress the nozzle to see if liquid runs into the line?

You should probably hear a click from the black disconnect. Try pushing harder or using keg lube will make it easier to slide on. I have some cheap Chinese disconnects and on one of them the pin that pushes down on the keg post doesn't quote line up.

Killer Brew said:
The tap is definitely connected to the out post, can see the dip tube. Dont have any keg lube but the connect seems to come on and off ok. For that last part are you saying disconnect it from the keg, put some water in there, hold up high and depress the nozzle to see if liquid runs into the line?
Exactly right. Alternatively remove beer line and see if water squirts out when connected ( someone may have already suggested this).

Shit I'm glad I've got pin-locks!
It takes one major offender out of the equation. :)

manticle said:
Exactly right. Alternatively remove beer line and see if water squirts out when connected ( someone may have already suggested this).
Tried both of those now with no luck. Only a dribble gets through if i fill the connector and depress the valve.

What brand disconnects? If no flow with the tap removed it sounds like the disconnect isn't depressing the poppet.

As stated above, the first suspect would be a crappy disconnect not depressing the poppet properly. The cheap ones can be the devil incarnate.

Camo6 said:
What brand disconnects? If no flow with the tap removed it sounds like the disconnect isn't depressing the poppet.
No brand as such, this is the image from their website

Capture.JPG

Homicidal Teddybear said:
As stated above, the first suspect would be a crappy disconnect not depressing the poppet properly. The cheap ones can be the devil incarnate.
Yeah, taking it back this afternoon to swap over.

Back