Cornie Keg Won't Seal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yowster

Reaction score
Guys,

I need some help and advice with one of my kegs. The rotten thing won't seal properly.
I've got two kegs, one that seals properly and holds pressure and one that doesn't.

Kegs are pin lock cornies and I've tried both the oval lids on both kegs. Neither lid seals on the faulty keg, but both seal on the good keg, hence I don't believe its the o ring seal on the lid.

Any ideas on how to rectify

Thanks

you can get soft seals and hard seals. the ones in the keg reco kit from CB are soft and should take up any misalignment, although funnily enough these will not work on a couple of my blue handle kegs

or maybe hit it with 300kpa to see if that seals it

buy some KY and lube those seals up. Thats what i do when mine won't seal.

Would the gas bottle soapy water trick work? Squirt it around to narrow down your search area?
Also +1 for lube. There's always time for lubrication.

I had similar problems. I replaced the lids on my pinlock with the cheap $12.99 lids. They came with new soft fat seals, and in combo with a slight bit of keg lube...seal 100%

Also, it's not always the seals. The rubber "legs" on the lids had a habit of not giving enough downward force to create a good seal.....

Got the same problem, but nothing will seal mine. the whole keg is dinged up (they all are a bit) and I think there's a ding/nick where the lid seats. The thing held pressure the first few times I used it (most importantly it was holding pressure at old mates shop I bought it from). No chance now, dunno what the hell is going on, ive tried all the standard suggestions here to no avail.

As previously mentioned, chuck the beer in and hit the gas to 300kpa.
Works every time.

yep use some keg lube and hit with high pressure seats the seals well. as said are you sure its the lid??? have you tried the lid on the other keg??? it could be a poppet or post leaking.

positive its the lid on mine, high pressure just makes bigger bubbles come out from around the lid.

Also, it's not always the seals. The rubber "legs" on the lids had a habit of not giving enough downward force to create a good seal.....
the "legs" aren't required for a seal.

yep use some keg lube and hit with high pressure seats the seals well. as said are you sure its the lid??? have you tried the lid on the other keg??? it could be a poppet or post leaking.
+1

make sure you lube both contact faces of the seal. .. the face of the seal that is touching the lid, and the face of the seal that will be touching the keg.
It can leak from either side. ...... be generous if you are having problems .. it's cheap as chips.

As far as the "legs" and sealing .. once I have put a shot of gas in the keg. .. I can unclip the lid clip, so the "legs" are now swinging in the breeze and still have no leaks.

The legs are only there to hold the lid in roughly the right place while you have no pressure in the keg. Once you have gas in the keg they do nothing .. and .... you'd need to be superman to break the lid seal.

Latest posts

Back