Cordial In Brews?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale_snail

Reaction score
has anyone ever seen cordial used in a brew

the reason why was because i am planning on doing a wheat beer next batch and i wanted to spice it up

i will be getting the following

3kg Wheat LME
1kg Dex
100gm Cloves whole
a couple of cinnamon sticks
some honey
Nelson Sauvin Hops (make my local HBS order these in)

and the final flavour hit

i wanted to add some elderflower cordial into the fermenter.. ive never tried it but i thought i would give it a go anyway.. lol

and see what happens

well cheers for your help in advance

ale snail

It's sugary isn't it ? so it may ferment and produce some weird flavours. Can't remember having read about anyone brewing with it, if your game for the experiment DO IT !

Let us know what happens.

okie i will

do you know what Elderflower cordial tastes like?

cheers

I once did a brew with ribena syrup and dextrose. It was nasty nasty rocket fuel, ended up way too dry so to serve I had to add some more syrup. Not as much of the blackcurrant flavour carried through as I thought, but it's always worth doing as an experiment.

Im doing a rassberry beer using some sunrasia juice, Its no where as sweet as cordial but it went into the secondary today and the sugar that is there will start it off again.

Give the cordial a go whats the worst that can happen.

RIP
:)

I added Ginger Beer cordial to my last ginger beer, it worked out with no problems, very carbonated but I'm thinking it was possibly not fully fermented when bottled....one to learn from.

i've used chocolate topping in a choc stout before.

turned out lovely.

I know its not quite the response you are after, but its the best i can relate to.

was just 200ml in a full 23L stout batch. wasnt prominant at all, but you could just slightly taste it on the back of your tounge after a big mouthfull.

plan to do it again for sure.

recpie was for a k+k batch, something along the lines of:

1 coopers stout kit
1kg dark dried malt
500g brown sugar
250g of maltodextrine
200ml chocolate topping

used kit yeast as i was still a bit of an amature at brewing.

if i do it again i'll use slightly more choc topping and a better yeast for sure.

i've used chocolate topping in a choc stout before.

I suppose you could also use a bit of chickory essence (coffee essence). You buy it from the supermarket. Make a nice addition to stouts and porters. just 10-20ml or so for background flavour. Yes you could use actualy coffee (or expresso) but this is easier (and cheaper if you dont normally have coffee in the house)

I'm a great one for experimenting normally but I'd actually recommend against it. Nelson Sauvin have such a unique flavour that I would suggest you leave it out and let them shine with the spices.

Also with your cloves I put 1.5tsp in a spiced Xmas beer last year and for about a month that was all you could taste. It faded over time but I'd consider reducing the number there. I'm not sure how many cloves that is...

Recipe is in the recipe section as Christmoose Ale if you want to see it.

Back