Coopers Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know if Coopers pale yeast is the same as their sparkling yeast?

I cant 100% guarantee it, but it generally accepted that they are.

Have made about several attempts at cloning CSA and CPA and always cultured the yeast from a couple of CPA bottles.
The pale has less alcohol than the sparkling which generally makes for healthier yeast for reculturing.

Cheers
BB

A slant is a test tube with an agar(like jelly) mixed with malt. The yeast is cultured on the surface of the agar. The angle is to provide a larger surface for more yeast in a small space-efficient tube.
http://www.unm.edu/~draper/beer/slantuse.html

slant.gif

No affiliation etc. etc.

Damn that's a good link, best one I've seen!

Cheers for posting it! :D

'tis the same yeast in CPA and CSA, for that matter the stout and dark ale too.

Hey Dave Is a slan postable or would the temp be a problem ??? (I'm in Melboune) rgds mike

If anyone wants the coopers yeast I cultured some out of a bottle (The pale from memory) a few years back and have been propogating it on slants ever since. Its my standard yeast for most brews. If anyone wants a slant, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers
Dave
[/quote]

Hey Dave Is a slan postable or would the temp be a problem ??? (I'm in Melboune) rgds mike

If anyone wants the coopers yeast I cultured some out of a bottle (The pale from memory) a few years back and have been propogating it on slants ever since. Its my standard yeast for most brews. If anyone wants a slant, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers
Dave

Should be OK... shoot me a PM with the details and I'll send one through.

Cheers
Dave

I cant 100% guarantee it, but it generally accepted that they are.

Have made about several attempts at cloning CSA and CPA and always cultured the yeast from a couple of CPA bottles.
The pale has less alcohol than the sparkling which generally makes for healthier yeast for reculturing.

Cheers
BB

So by that reasoning, the Mild Ale should be even better for reculturing (hard to come by outside of Adelaide, though.)

i can't remember the mild having any yeast in the bottle... ?

You obviously weren't drinking mild all night then... it's definitely bottle conditioned.

So by that reasoning, the Mild Ale should be even better for reculturing (hard to come by outside of Adelaide, though.)

Your probably right, only its the drinking of the bottle contents that concerns me though :unsure:

Definitely not my favourite Coopers drop,

BB

still better than drinking Carlton Draught BB!

Just sucessfully cultured from a coopers bottle. Not quite ready to brew yet, should I refridgerate this and then build it up closer to when I am ready to brew or should I build it up first and then refridgerate it until I need it.

rgds mike

Just check the age on the bottles first; I doubt mild has the turnover rate of pale.

But, I tend to (successfully) culture from pale or sparkling longnecks (can't get dark in perth) so whatever one you choose shouldn't matter too much.

Just check the age on the bottles first; I doubt mild has the turnover rate of pale.

But, I tend to (successfully) culture from pale or sparkling longnecks (can't get dark in perth) so whatever one you choose shouldn't matter too much.
I cultured yeast from a 375ml sparkling and Original, both were active within 24 hours, both were before the best after date on the bottle.

Just sucessfully cultured from a coopers bottle. Not quite ready to brew yet, should I refridgerate this and then build it up closer to when I am ready to brew or should I build it up first and then refridgerate it until I need it.

rgds mike

Should be OK to do that Mike. Though I wouldn't leave it too long. Once you've fridged your yeast it'll setlle out and then slowly begin to die off. Depending on how much you have built up with your first culture you might not have enough to pitch. You would then need to culture up a full volume (up to at least 1 litre better @ 1.5 litres) prior to pitching. You are also inviting other nasties that might have snuck into your starter to take hold also if you leave it too long.

Why not? I don't understand why Coopers dry yeast is not available in Australia. I am a homebrewer from Canada and that is my house yeast. It is available everywhere here. Mostly in 7g sachets. I can buy it in bulk in 15g sachets also. I have pretty well used most liquid yeasts from Wyeast and White Labs. I seem to always go back to Coopers. It gives me predictable results every time I use it. Just for export? Odd.

Reign

Is that Coopers yeast as in a yeast sachet with Coopers written on it ?

If so, then it is highly likely not the same as Coopers yeast that is found in their brews. To the best of my (limited) knowledge the yeast used for Coopers Pale|Sparkling|Stout|etc is different from the yeast supplied with Coopers kits.

Reign

im pretty much certain you're talking about coopers homebrewing yeast, aka 514.

only reason they use that yeast for the homebrewing kits is because its cheap and its very very temperature tolerant. can brew in just about any conditions with it and it will work.

downside is that its got a pretty shocking flavour profile.

Damn that's a good link, best one I've seen!

Cheers for posting it! :D

If anyone want to try slanting yeast it isn't too difficult. Pedro, Pint of Lager and myself did some at least 4 - 5 years ago and we found that Agar Agar from the Chinese grocer with dried malt gave a very good base material to slant onto. I also tried gelatin but that tended to liquefy if the unstreaked slant was stored at a temperature above 30c

I still have some slants I prepared back then so in the interest of experimentation I may streak a couple to see if they are still ok. Theoretically they should still be sterile.

steve

If anyone want to try slanting yeast it isn't too difficult. Pedro, Pint of Lager and myself did some at least 4 - 5 years ago and we found that Agar Agar from the Chinese grocer with dried malt gave a very good base material to slant onto. I also tried gelatin but that tended to liquefy if the unstreaked slant was stored at a temperature above 30c

I still have some slants I prepared back then so in the interest of experimentation I may streak a couple to see if they are still ok. Theoretically they should still be sterile.

steve

Agreed. I picked up some culture tubes in a bulk buy a couple of years ago and haven't bought yeast since. I have my yeast farm in the serving fridge and keep about 10 strains in there. If I run out i just go back to my master slant and re-culture from there. Every 2 years I re-culture the masters to ensure they are viable. I should get 6 generations of master before I need to go back to an original strain so 12 years of brewing out of 1 tube of yeast isn't bad at all.

Cheers
Dave

Okay, I understand now about the difference. I still use it. I am making light summer ales now and Coopers seems to work fine. I do plan to make a stout, IPA and a wit bier. For those, I will use liquid yeast.

Reign

Back