Coopers Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about just:

"Gulf Beer"

Can I have my T-shirt now? :D

:icon_offtopic: can I use dextrose to make a yeast starter? As I currently have 2 largies of cpa and want to brew my next batch of brew thursday!

:icon_offtopic: can I use dextrose to make a yeast starter? As I currently have 2 largies of cpa and want to brew my next batch of brew thursday!

NO!!!!
You must use malt or wort. I can't imagine how bad that yeast will be when you finally pitch it in your wort.

Andrew

Dextrose would kick the yeast along for a while but lacks nutrients, a bit like feeding kids on pure rice as happens in some third world countries, and they end up disease ridden and runty. However nothing wrong with say a half and half mix of dex and LDME.

I have brewing sugar? dont have malt as yet.

If your culturing yeast for a specific reason ie, you want the yeast to contribute it's characteristics to your brew then you need to treat the yeast when culturing with care or you will mask any of the desirable attributes with off fermentation flavours and aromas from stressing the yeast at a critical stage, when it is multiplying.

I can't remember ever reading White labs or Wyeast recommending anything but wort to be used as a growing medium for a healthy yeast, but I am happy to be proven wrong.

However if you just want to culture up some yeast and aren't worried about getting a good clean viable pitch then use dextrose or sugar or mix them with malt, but don't expect it to be like Coopers Yeast, for that matter you may as well just use a generic dry yeast.

Cheers
Andrew

Brewing sugar as in BE2 ?

That should be fine

Tom

100% agree with Andrew here, if you want to brew a Coopers style beer then culture it up correctly with LDME

Back