Coopers Yeast In American Wheat?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUANNE

no chiller and botulism free since 2010
Reaction score
just thinking about doing an american wheat sorta beer at the moment, probably 60% jw ale/ 40 wheat malt with a 60 min charge of centenial at around 20 ibu and 20 grams or so cascade cube hopped. also thinking about using recultured coopers yeast in it. has any one tried some thing similar or have an opinion of wether it will work well or not? im hoping for something reasonably clean but dont mind a hint of banana creeping in.

thanks bh

I've thought similar things about coopers yeast. I just tried the first bottle of a brew I put down with coopers yeast with tettnanger hops, 500g munich, pilsener malt and a can of coopers lager. was hopped to around 30ibu (including the kit). i didnt document it much as the brew was a biab partial to hold me off while I fixed/replaced my kettle for doing full size mashes and boils, but it's turned out very nicely.
the bannana bread flavours work well in alot of different beers, not just pale ales. I would have no reservation about doing it.

just thinking about doing an american wheat sorta beer at the moment, probably 60% jw ale/ 40 wheat malt with a 60 min charge of centenial at around 20 ibu and 20 grams or so cascade cube hopped. also thinking about using recultured coopers yeast in it. has any one tried some thing similar or have an opinion of wether it will work well or not? im hoping for something reasonably clean but dont mind a hint of banana creeping in.

thanks bh

g'day BH, K-97 goes well in a beer like this, i used to do a wheat/rye with it with good results.

cheers

Dave

btw, i'm not saying K-97 is a wheat beer yeast, it's not.

Would be a bit bready/yeasty for my tastes used in a clean american wheat beer i think.Tho it could be a cracker,give it a go. I love the mouthfeel and big foamy snow white head 30%-40% of malted wheat gives to a beer.I prefer to use clean yeast like us05/1056 for this style and late hop additions @ 15 and 2 min.Leaning more to the hoppy pale ale side

3000.00 gm Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.Grain 66.67 %
1500.00 gm Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 33.33 %
5.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.10 %] (60 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
25.00 gm B saaz [8.00 %] (15 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
25.00 gm B saaz [8.00 %] (2 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056

20ibu ,2nd batch and tasting awesome,simple,and shaping as my summer quencher,1st batch had a bit of light munich in it,but dropped it out of this one.Used northern brewer 1st batch but ran out so had to chuck the deadly por in. Has made little impact.

thanks for the feed back guys. i think i will go ahead with this and see what happens. the worst case is a beer that comes out a bit yeasty and bananary in wich case i'll claim it was an attempt at a hefe.and thanks for the idea of k 97 yardy might have to keep that in mind for the next one if this doesnt work, but ive just bought a small flask for culturing up yeast from bottles and just have to use it. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back