Coopers Yeast Cake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have my farewell bash coming up soon and I need to smash out a batch of easy drinkers for everyone. Was just hoping someone would have a yeast cake of coopers yeast cultured from the bottle - can do it myself, but would rather just use a yeast cake.

Cheers and beers
Phil

Not much use, but if you were in Brisbane I'd be happy to trade a ~120ml sample jar of yeast cake I have of it... It might also pain you to now that I literally just dumped about 2L of coopers yeast cake onto the compost heap...

I'll go now :)

i dump all my yeast cake on to the garden I think if your paying $4 for yeast per brew why risk wasting $25-35 in inexpedience and time just to save $4??? and if you use liquid yeast then split the yeast pack not the cake and you get first gen yeast all the time with a fraction of the cost.

For bottle yeast I def wouldnt want third gen as first is bottle 2nd is what you use and 3rd is yeast cake. But thats just me I rather all my brews infection free (like they have been) then risk saving few $ to throw out $20-40

bump.gif

bump

Its not exactly what you want but maybe you could use white labs australian ale? Apparently its the same.

http://www.brewerschoice.com.au/online-sho...-ale-yeast.html

I tried to order some last week and it's not in stock as it is seasonal.
David from Brewers Choice said he has put in a special order but it won't be here until 2nd week November...looks like you might have to drink a couple of CPSa and use the dregs!

David from Brewers Choice said he has put in a special order but it won't be here until 2nd week November...looks like you might have to drink a couple of CPSa and use the dregs!

edit "CPA's"...not very good at typing.. :lol:

Hi there,

I have my farewell bash coming up soon and I need to smash out a batch of easy drinkers for everyone. Was just hoping someone would have a yeast cake of coopers yeast cultured from the bottle - can do it myself, but would rather just use a yeast cake.

Cheers and beers
Phil
Are you the same Phillip who's in Adelaide? If so I got about 100mL of yeast
I saved from a recent Coopers Vintage Ale clone you can have (about 2 weeks
old). It's probably about a 2nd gen batch originally from a Coopers Sparkling
Ale kit - should take off like a rocket - there's actuall a pix of it here.

PM me if interested.

T.

Easy drinkers? Stock recipe as follows:

(Homebrew tin) 1.7kg
500g LDME
300g white sugar
(yeast)
20g (hops) @ 15min
10g (hops) dry for 3 days before bottling

Doctor the stuff in brackets so you get the desired effect. Add up to 250g of specialty grain to give a bit more profile if you want/can be bothered, and probably have one brew without the hops at all, or perhaps only 10g of Pride of Ringwood. That'd do the trick for sure.

Cheers - boingk

Are you the same Phillip who's in Adelaide? If so I got about 100mL of yeast
I saved from a recent Coopers Vintage Ale clone you can have (about 2 weeks
old). It's probably about a 2nd gen batch originally from a Coopers Sparkling
Ale kit - should take off like a rocket - there's actuall a pix of it here.

PM me if interested.

T.

thanks mate!

All sorted now. Going for an easy drinker for the mainstream. 2 beers - 2 taps.

90 % Pilsner
10% Wheat

Mashing at 62 for 45 and then decoction to hit 68 for 45. Then another decoction to hit 76ish.

1.046 (may end up lowering this to about 1.043)

POR @ 60 for 28 IBU.

Coopers yeast at 19.

Second batch is going to be

90% Pilsner
10% Wheat

Mashing at 64

Amarillo @ 60 for 30 IBU
All amarillo additions

0.7 g/l @ 10, 5 and 0.

Pacman at 19 degrees.

Cheers
Phil

Got my WLP-009 last week, and on the weekend split it into 5 PET bottles with bolied/cooled water and malt. After 2 days of swirling there is a fair bit of activity there, not what I would call a Krauzen but it is frothy, and smells like CPA..mmmmmm beer.....

A couple of these are going into my 50l after another day or so, or I might even step them up as they are 500ml at the moment and might push them to 1litre and it's going to be CPA on tap at Christmas!

Latest posts

Back