Coopers- What Gives?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From our little tour the other day, one of the most amazing facts was what they do with the yeast...

Apparently it gets cubed up in 1000-2000L plastic "cubes" and shoved into a shipping container, sent over to Japan (it was Japan right... Smurto, MoM??) to be used in a whiskey. They are apparently chasing the flavour profile from the Coopers yeast. And here I was thinking it got made into Vegemite :)

Coopers is what it is. (Anhueser InBev doesn't make malt extract.) They are serving their market pretty well. With some tweaking, you can make better beer than you can buy.

Pillsbury-Toaster-Strudels-Coupon.jpg

versus

Cherry-Cheese-Strudel-Ice-Cream.jpg

Don't make the mistake of trying to compare these 2 items either.

There is a level of elitism from parts of this brewing hobby that belittle extract brewers. It reminds me of the Linux OS snobs that belittle the GUI users that wont use the command line. AG is harder to do, messier, takes more time and space, isn't much cheaper and there is a greater risk of failure. It benefits all of us to make this hobby as accessible as possible.

The last 6 months i've been selling the house and have been keeping coopers in business one to two slabs a week (haven't been able to brew), still waiting for my vip card in the mail :icon_drunk:

Bubs was due yesterday so i've been on the mild the last couple of weeks, really enjoy it.

My 2c, coopers is doing a great job :beerbang:

They crush their grist to powder. They mash as per normal. Then they pump the mash to the mash press (It is a series of filter plates with a ram on the end about as long as a bus). The mash gets pressed and it squeezes the sweet wort out. It looks like something from DR Who.

Sounds like exactly what I do. :D

They must have a really, really big grinder.

My local has kent brown and kent black on tap.

Sounds like exactly what I do. :D

They must have a really, really big grinder.

They call it hammer mill, at least in Germany. Same procedure there when i visited 'the' brewery in Berlin. Loved the mash filter, clearer wort than a Braumeister can ever produce...

I spoke to someone at the brewery the other day and tried to pry some Anniversary Ale info out of him...

He was pretty tight lipped but did say it will be around 5%.. so more of a session beer rather than a knock your socks off 7.5% like the Vintage Ale.

Coopers Premium Lager is quite different to the famous Coopers ales. This lager produces a refreshing flavour with a good balance of malt and hop characters and is brewed using no sugar. With its subtle fruity esters and light golden colour, combined with a judicious blend of Pride of Ringwood and Saaz hops. This produces a Lager with a crisp malty full flavour.
I don't mind Cooper's Lager myself, or Cooper's Light when my father-in-law is coming over, as he is a XXXX Gold man.

But I do buy the Cooper's Dark and Cooper's Pale on occasion when I'm on a budget.

Anything to the bit of news that circulated awhile back that Cooper's was going to license-brew that King of Adjunct American Beers Budweiser?

some beer's they make you can only get SA.try getting Dr timms premium ale can's..

Why in f*ck name would you want to chase that stuff its crap. Had a couple of tinnies of coopers lager at BDO that wasn't bad.

I actually seen that at a bottle shop on High st.
Asked the guy working there and he said it was just Coopers PA, but he got it in so people could take it to festivals. I'm gonna right pissed off if he was wrong lol

Its similar but even more crappy.

It would be nice if they canned the 62 Pils and/or the Clear in favour of an IPA or another interesting style, but enough people must be buying it that they are still making it.

The clear isn't too bad and i love the 62 its a dumbed down pilsener however is very tasty and decent session drop.

I don't get the 62 Pils either I think Coopers were doing well by keeping there tradition and history as being dedicated ale brewers. Through out history the company stayed true to its belief in going against the mainstream lager breweries and brewing what they were passionate about 'Ales'. Since they started producing lagers it seems like a bit of a sell out of their traditions to me.

I don't give a rats arse i would if they ditched say dark ale for 62 but they don't

I was told that the 62 came about because they got the contract to make budwiser so they bought all the ingredients but the contract fell so they made a pilsner instead and named it coopers 62. Dont no if its true or not.

You obviously hadn't tried budweiser 62 has about 100x times the flavour and i'm sure i didnt taste a single hop in bud.

I don't mind Cooper's Lager myself, or Cooper's Light when my father-in-law is coming over, as he is a XXXX Gold man.

But I do buy the Cooper's Dark and Cooper's Pale on occasion when I'm on a budget.

Anything to the bit of news that circulated awhile back that Cooper's was going to license-brew that King of Adjunct American Beers Budweiser?

Not true its imported from US of A.

I think we have a conflation of two separate issues here.

Coopers lost the contract to distribute - not brew - Bud in Australia, to Lion Nathan.

Last year Coopers signed a deal with Sapporo to BUL here.

Latest posts

Back