Coopers- What Gives?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry mate, gotta call you out on that one. Invalid stout is a fine drop, I put it on par with Coopers BES.
I agree with pretty much everything else manticle said but I was going to say almost exactly this myself. Invalid is perhaps a bit thin - but for what it is and how easy it is to get it, it is probably in front of the Coopers for my money.

Worth pointing out that I pretty much only ever buy a sixer of something when I'm on my way out somewhere so this undoubtedly influences my opinion. Invalid can be had (refrigerated) at pretty much any supermarket year round. Much less susceptible to the damages of poor handling than the Coopers too (but perhaps it could be argued it leaves the brewery pre-damaged?).

Okay I will write. Though in this day and age of the internet I expected somebody from Coopers to reply to this thread and tell me to f*ck myself.

I also lol'd.

Coopers are bringing out an anniversery ale this year.. :icon_cheers:

And that came straight from Dr Tim himeself

Never had sheaf.

Don't bother. It's like VB with a handfull of roast barley thrown in as an afterthought. Really it's crap. You could be forgiven for thinking they really were trying to make it taste like shit.

Save your money and put it towards a tallie of Southwark stout and a stubbie or two of Cascade stout. :icon_cheers:

Well on a whole different tangent why do Coopers make the best home brew tallies but the label sticks like shit to a blanket! I just scrubbed about 20 of the bastards off!

Well on a whole different tangent why do Coopers make the best home brew tallies but the label sticks like shit to a blanket! I just scrubbed about 20 of the bastards off!
Soak them in water for a few hours and they will fall off.

Cheers

Soak them in water for a few hours and they will fall off.

Cheers

I soak them in a bucket with some napisan for a few days and the labels fall off, the glue dissapears from the bottle and the ink on the label starts flaking off. The "Imported by" sticker on Timothy Taylor's Landlord bottles survive a week of this and still need to be scraped off!

I soak them in a bucket with some napisan for a few days and the labels fall off, the glue dissapears from the bottle and the ink on the label starts flaking off. The "Imported by" sticker on Timothy Taylor's Landlord bottles survive a week of this and still need to be scraped off!

Cheers! I thought an hour in hot water with bottle cleaning solution would be enough but the front label hung in there. Honestly I tip my hat to them for having quality labels.

Coopers are bringing out an anniversery ale this year.. :icon_cheers:

And that came straight from Dr Tim himeself

Yep, I heard this straight from the horses mouth also while on a brewery tour a few weeks ago...

But thats about all they could tell us... I was having a solid look around trying to spot any bottles/labels/cartons, ANYTHING to do with the anniversary ale, but couldnt find a thing :(

After seeing the update I was going to send them a question regarding their Anniversary Ale (since it seemed the most pertinent) but it seems they're purposely holding that one to their chest. I wouldn't mind a good barely wine but an IIPA or a RIS would be more interesting.

Any way I am going to send them a link to this thread since their seems other questions people want answered as well.

Also I've had the Southwark from Dans and can vouch for liking it more than the Coopers. I may have had the sheaf but it was obviously forgettable.

Carlton Black. Probably more widely available than Coopers Dark Ale depending on the state.

...and infintely less drinkable. Not even comparable to tooheys old IMHO.

I've long been fascinated by the obsession of ensuring the labels come off the bottles...does it really change the flavour of the beer you put in them that much? :p

...and infintely less drinkable. Not even comparable to tooheys old IMHO.

I've long been fascinated by the obsession of ensuring the labels come off the bottles...does it really change the flavour of the beer you put in them that much? :p

Yes. A VB label can taint a beer by being in the same room.

It's getting harder and harder to find but there is another commercial brew called ld". Kent Old is worth a look if you can find it. It's more along the lines of a nut brown ale although I think it's actually a larger. Pretty good session beer though.

Yes. A VB label can taint a beer by being in the same room.

It's getting harder and harder to find but there is another commercial brew called ld". Kent Old is worth a look if you can find it. It's more along the lines of a nut brown ale although I think it's actually a larger. Pretty good session beer though.

+1. When I'm back home this is my pub beer. Alot of central coast\newcastle pubs have this in there fridges and is Often cheaper then the standard beers on tap too and much much tastier.

Coopers is a large brewery not a craft brewery.

Why would they make a craft beer such as an IPA as you suggest that a fraction of a percent of people will buy? It makes zero commercial sense on anything other than a small scale.

The BUL Sapporo is a nice example of a german pilsner. Went on the tour last week and was surprised by it. The rest of the lagers are boring. Dark ale is simply pale ale with a roast barley addition.

Mild Ale is also a very nice drop for a mid (late Saaz addition), other than LC Rogers how many other breweries do a mid strength ale?

Mild Ale is also a very nice drop for a mid (late Saaz addition), other than LC Rogers how many other breweries do a mid strength ale?
Blue sky do a mid strength ale. Punters seem to like it too.
Literally all the big brewery 'gold' beers are lower strength versions of the full strength mainstays but cost just the same, from what I see, 4x gold sells more up here than 4x. In bluesky's case, I was made to understand that the mashing was done differently to retain a full beer body while doing a mid.

XXXX gold etc are mid strength lagers. Coopers and LC mids are more in line with UK mid ale - low alc, full flavoured malty ales.

Not sure about blue sky, haven't tried it (or seen it for sale - are blue sky a major brewery?)

I mean if Lion Nathan can see the commercial value of 'craft beer' (James Squire) why not Coopers? Nobody is asking Coopers to be DFH but Coopers do make already beers that are not popular mainstream beers such as the Vintage and the mild. If they are as commercial as you imply they would of gotten rid of the lines long ago but obviously they think it is important to have these lines for the sake of tradition or the 'brand'. Hell manticle thinks they deserve props for the audacity to sticking with ales this day and age. It's not like asking CUB to make an IPA.

Back