Coopers Vs. Us-56

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a summer ale but haven't chosen my yeast yet and deciding between culturing some coopers yeast (ps. are all the yeasts the same or is the sparkling differant to the pale ale) or getting the US-56

I'm going for a beer with a dry finish and I know US-56 does this but wondering if coopers culture would also

Whats peoples experiences with using a cultered coopers yeast?

Coopers yeast is definitely different than us56, it's fruity and bready but attenuates well (dry) like us56. If you keep the temperature down (18 or so) you can subdue the esters.

hmm.. on the topic does any one know if the y east used in Coopers Pale Ale is different to the one used in the Original Sparkling Ale?

Coopers = Dry, fruity, malt driven
US05 = Dry ,clean, hop driven

In My experience any way.

keep em both at 16/18c

People make a big deal about Coopers being fruity if you let it get warm but US-56 (or US-05 now) can be amazingly floral if you let it get up about 24C.
Roses!

Same yeast in CPA, CSA, stout, dark ale and mild ale.

and another yeast i've heard u can clone is mountain goat pale ale is this also fruity

and another yeast i've heard u can clone is mountain goat pale ale is this also fruity
Coopers yeast gives Coopers Pale Ale its distinctive flavour. That should serve as a guide to whether or not you would like your beer to have a similar dry, bready, banana flavour. It's easier to get a feel for the yeast characteristics from Coopers Pale than Sparkling, as it is cleaner and lower %ABV.

Mountain Goat uses WYeast1028 London Ale, so you can get some information on this strain from the Wyeast Website.
Plenty of other beers you can buy these days are bottle-conditioned, and therefore have yeast that can be cultured, although some use a lager strain in the bottle, just to make things confusing!
Happy researching!

Coopers yeast gives Coopers Pale Ale its distinctive flavour. That should serve as a guide to whether or not you would like your beer to have a similar dry, bready, banana flavour. It's easier to get a feel for the yeast characteristics from Coopers Pale than Sparkling, as it is cleaner and lower %ABV.

Mountain Goat uses WYeast1028 London Ale, so you can get some information on this strain from the Wyeast Website.
Plenty of other beers you can buy these days are bottle-conditioned, and therefore have yeast that can be cultured, although some use a lager strain in the bottle, just to make things confusing!
Happy researching!

cheers mate

Brewing it high is not that bad, as, if you have the right yeast, you can get some desirable flavours.

Brewing is like wikipeadia...not all that you read is gods word....

Latest posts

Back