Coopers Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maeldric

Reaction score
Was up at coles earlier and saw they had the coopers range on special only 9 dollars. Decided to give the stout a try so i purchased 2 cans and hurried home to brew it up :)

I used the 2 cans, 500g DME and 500g Brown sugar along with 1 vanilla bean in the boil.
Added a cup of rather strong plunger coffee (3 heaped teaspoons in the cup) to the wort just before pitching the yeast. I only used the yeast that came with the can. Total volume was 22L.

OG was 1.084 and a quick taste of it was quite nice. Tis my first attempt at a stout as i have only just began to like the suckers :chug: hopefully it will turn out alright. Ill keep you guys posted on the progress.

Maeldric.

You may find it's quite bitter. The stout cans have enough bitterness in them for 23L of normal strength beer. May be OK with the higher strength and adjuncts.

I did a toucan Coopers stout a couple of years ago. Only brewed it up to 15L, it was damn near undrinkable for easily 6 months.
Cracked open the last of them after 2 years in the bottle a few months back, was quite nice but still very bitter.
Be interesting to see how yours goes with the coffee in it.

You may find it's quite bitter. The stout cans have enough bitterness in them for 23L of normal strength beer. May be OK with the higher strength and adjuncts.

Damn straight it's bitter, like an ex girlfriend, but it's my favourite mistress! :D

I have a toucan stout and stout/dark ale toucan about 3 months old now. Beautiful.

Great idea for the vanilla bean Maeldric - maybe taste one at the QLD Xmas Swap?

InCider.

Probably would of been a better idea for me to brew this bad boy in my 50L one instead of the 25 hehe.

krausen.jpg

Probably would of been a better idea for me to brew this bad boy in my 50L one instead of the 25 hehe.

krausen.jpg
Now that's a Krausen! :super:
Maeldric, Sounds like an interesting mix with the vanilla bean.

No this is krausen! :beerbang:

krausen2.jpg

Woke up to that this morning, quite intense! It now has a lid with a blow off tube to stop any further mess lol. Good times.

*whistles* that's quite a bit of activity you've got there! Seems like you got some really healthy yeast! Did you use both sachets or just one?

My second brew ever (i think) was a single can coopers stout with the kit yeast.

for some reason the coopers kit yeast goes crazy on the stouts.

ive since made up a twocan + 1kg dark dried malt + other crap before and used s-04 yeast and got nothing like it. krausen was only 2inch or so.

tastes amazing though, as im positive yours will as well!

Nice one. Can't beat the Coopers Stout cans I reckon.

I just got my latest licorice stout on (made using the Coopers stout can)

Recipe
Coopers Stout can
500g DME, 1KG Soft Brown Sugar, 250g Soft Licorice
100g Carapils, 100g Caramalt mashed at 65C for 30 minutes.
40g Fuggles (20g at start, 20g at flameout).
Coopers Yeast

I had the cracked grain leftover in the freezer so thought I'd chuck it in.

When I got it into the fermenter it was at 1058 and 2 days later it is already at 1018 :) Gonna be a biggie.

incidently, just got around to putting my strong stout in bottles..

coopers irish stout can
coopers dark ale can (boiled 20 mins)
500gm dex
10gm fuggles at 10 and 5

was in primary for nearly a month (oops) and racked to secondary for about a month too.
primed wit 145gm dex for 26 longies, tasted damn good. est ABV was 8.53%
cant wait till its ready :D :chug:

"Not even the fleet-footed Sheik could dodge the droppings of Brisbane's Ibis population"
:blink:
Hi all, What is the best temp for a stout. Mine is sitting around 18 deg and not much action happening?

More information phil - recipe etc

but 18C should be fine no matter what yeast you have

More information phil - recipe etc

but 18C should be fine no matter what yeast you have

Thanks microbe, Coopers Stout w/- 1kg Brew Enhancer 2 and 400gm dextrose(a little extra dextrose than normal). Starting to see a wee bit of action now. Can't wait for there to be a lot of wee action later though. Thanks for the advise. :super:

Mine's been sitting between 16-18C for the past 2 weeks and has just finished. The flavour is outstanding.
Gotta get one bottled and entered in the TCB comp by Saturday.

Semi OT but why is your fermenter covered in glad wrap instead of a lid?

the lid on that fermenter is a pain for me to get it sealed properly so i just use that. The gravity is down to 1014 now :blink: gonna be one strong beer. Im trying something different with this and gonna rack it off into two seperate cubes now for secondary, one with 500g of raspberrys in it and the other as is. Should be interesting.

Mmm Raspberry Stout.
I'm about to try 5 litres of mine racked onto some mulberries. Just have to work out how much I need.

Latest posts

Back