Coopers Selection Pilsener

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Craigo,

I'm guessing you made up your brew up to around 23lts? If so and if all goes well you can expect to finish around 1.008 - 1.010. If your yeast petters out early (with your higher starting gravity) you might end up with a higher FG but that's all I can tell you from what little info you have given us. I might be able to tell you more if I knew more...

Did you make a starter or rehydrate your yeast?

Do you use any temperature control?

What volume did you make the brew up to?

menoetes said:
Hi Craigo,

I'm guessing you made up your brew up to around 23lts? If so and if all goes well you can expect to finish around 1.008 - 1.010. If your yeast petters out early (with your higher starting gravity) you might end up with a higher FG but that's all I can tell you from what little info you have given us. I might be able to tell you more if I knew more...

Did you make a starter or rehydrate your yeast?

Do you use any temperature control?

What volume did you make the brew up to?

Hi Mentoetes

Yes i made the batch up to 23 ltrs and i have temp control and it is set at 17.5 degrees, The yeast i used was so4, i just wasnt sure if the og was unusually high or not ,its been fermenting for a week and its down to 1022 at the moment im hoping the yeast will get it down a fair bit more than that.

Sounds like your batch size and temp are good, S-04 has some trouble getting down below 1.020 sometimes (there are other threads on this) and it's important to make sure your wort is well aerated if using this yeast. Give it a few more days, some people suggest giving you whole fermenter a gentle swirl (if you can lift it, I'm not willing to try) to nudge the settled yeast awake again but see how you go.

As your gravity currently stands, you're at 3.4% abv; a nice midstrenth in my books and that will go up a little with priming sugar if you bottle like I do. Give it time and see how it goes, if the SG isn't dropping anymore and you really want it down you can always pitch more yeast, even the stuff that comes with the coopers can would finish it off now the S-04 has down the bulk of the work.

Latest posts

Back