Coopers Pale Ale Clone Hows It Look?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Justin,
sorry for the delay in the reply, I read your post on the way out the door to a BBQ and have just walked in now.
Definately use the coopers pale ale yeast from the bottle, 30 grams of DARK CRYSTAL and ferment 18-20c. Make a nice big starter to kick the brew off nice and fast.
That's about it, good luck.

Hi Justin,
sorry for the delay in the reply, I read your post on the way out the door to a BBQ and have just walked in now.
Definately use the coopers pale ale yeast from the bottle, 30 grams of DARK CRYSTAL and ferment 18-20c. Make a nice big starter to kick the brew off nice and fast.
That's about it, good luck.

Many thanks, Andrew ... ;)

i've been hearing that 20C is running hot, which may be where the esters are coming from. it'd be interesting to make the same beer again and ferment at 18C. there's supposedly quite a bit of difference in ester production with only 2C difference.

I've heard the same tangent.

Im currently drinking a CPA clone using pretty close to this exact recipe from AndrewQLD (touch more pale, touch less sugar). I fermented this one at a controlled 20C and it is very much a banana beer! Full of esters! Very nice and clean beer but just crazy banana flavours!

I plan to brew the same recipe soon and as you said, ferment it at 18C to taste the differences. I imagine there's gonna have to be a big difference if my current estery beer is anything to go off!

Cheers,

JS

JS,

how do you controll your ferment at 18c

rook

Sadly that is one of the downfalls of using the Coopers strain from the bottles, I have only had one brew with the banana profile you describe all the rest have been fine. I wonder if it could have something to do with the handling of the bottles by the retailers, perhaps the yeast has mutated slightly if the bottles have not been handled properly??
Either way perhaps it would be better to play it safe and ferment 18c.
I have made this recipe using WLP007 dry english ale yeast and while the beer was very clean the flavour was extremely bland, this is one beer that is definately defined by the yeast. And given the light grain bill and low hopping it is suseptable to off flavours/aromas.

EDIT: Oh and I wonder if controling the temp of your starter might be a good idea for this brew as well, try to keep it at 18c as well.

Cheers
Andrew

I'm inclined to agree with Andrew. I've used this yeast quite frequently for the last 8 years and have never encountered the banana ester (it usually has the standard CSA type character). I've fermented at temps between 20 and as low as 15. These days I always use it around the 16 degree mark and it's very well behaved. IMO it can even ferment lower if you're careful and use a big starter.

Perhaps encountering the banana ester could be due to the starter being too warm as Andrew said or even pitching too warm and bringing the temp down?

I've always found with most yeasts for that matter my beers have improved out of sight since pitching at fermentation temps or a couple of degrees lower and letting the whole thing warm up. Seems to to save runaway ferments and foaming out the airlock too. :)

Hope this helps.

Warren -

this is an interesting thread :)
the last english style beer i did, i made a starter from 6 stubbies of fresh pale (oh the hardships of brewing)
it took a while to get going and just as it was taking off i added a packet of dry windsor. i know it attenuates poorly but i figured the CPA yeast would have an easier time at work and finish off the last bits the windsor couldn't handle. it fermented at around 17C and made a nice beer. one of the best in the style i've made.

Oh and I wonder if controling the temp of your starter might be a good idea for this brew as well, try to keep it at 18c as well.

Perhaps encountering the banana ester could be due to the starter being too warm as Andrew said or even pitching too warm and bringing the temp down?

Could be on the money too. Perhaps the starters temp raised higher into the twenties... I can't remember if I had that starter insulated or not. It was pitched at ferment temp but the starter could have (possibly?) gotten warm. Otherwise it could be as Andrew says, could be to do with handling at the retailer. Speaking of which, I did notice on the last commercial CPA I drank that when it warms a touch the banana esters really came out. Anyone else know what I mean? Maybe a fresh culture is in order, perhaps I need to drink some more! :ph34r: ;)

Sorry Rook, missed your post! I have an insulated cupboard that is temperature switched to heat or cool. Very easily achieved by using a fridge with a light globe and a couple of temp controllers.

Cheers for the tips guys.

JS

Yes, good discussion lads ...I've been taking notes and will aim my ferment temps around the 16-18c mark.

I'm looking forward to making this beer! ;)

I did notice on the last commercial CPA I drank that when it warms a touch the banana esters really came out. Anyone else know what I mean? Maybe a fresh culture is in order, perhaps I need to drink some more! :ph34r: ;)

Cooper's PA and SA have to be the most inconsistent flavour profile beers in Oz unfortunately, i love it when they have banana ester but sadly every time i try to get one that specifically has banana i end up with the same bland-o boring slightly wheaty Coopers taste. Nice and all but i think it is a lot better when you get a crapload of ester in it. Sometimes on tap the CSA gets it, but it's just so inconsistent. Is it a mixed strain, as that might explain a lot.

Still, it is one of the cheapest ways to make good beer, reculturing cooper's yeast, and as a benefit you get to drink some decent beer along with the yeast :beerbang:

i think the magic in CPA is the fact that it's primed with wort so it's got a blast of fresh hops and sweet malt. once it ferments out in bottle conditioning, some of that magic is gone and it's a dryer slightly less fresh-hop beer.
that's not even mentioning the flavours attached to the yeast.
i reckon this beer would be a cracker fresh in the keg!

Latest posts

Back