Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled up my batch today. Fermentation took 12 days at 12-14C. Bulk primed with 3/4 cup of dex boiled in an equal measurment of water. Smelt pretty citrusy and it has the piss yellow colour of Corona. Looked great in the Corona bottles I have aquired recently. I don't care that much about these getting light struck as it will probably help the beer taste just like Mexican brews. Just going to serve it up ice cold with a lemon slice in a couple of weeks.

Yeah, I didn't think I saw anything on it. It sounds interesting. As for the bitterness thing, I had considered this. I noticed a few people had said that the brew wasn't bitter enough. But yeah, maybe 2x Cerveza cans would be better. I was thinking 2 Cerveza cans with a little Dextrose to bump up the alc. vol.
Small irony here.... Dos Eccys is spanish for 2x or XX or double X or whatever which is about the best Mexican beer. Better that Corona (meaning small crown or ring around the sun) or Sol (Spanish for sun).

Mine tastes great on tap (well as good a a mexican beer can) :party:

Hey guys,

Ive got a can of this im ready to try as soon as my current batch it over.

I got BE2 (looking at the Nutritional Panel, its got 645g of sugar) so i was think of adding another 4-500 g of Dex. Would this b alright.

I plan on using the kit yeast as i can only keep the temp at 21'C

What u guys recomend?

Had a can of the Coopers Cervaza in the cupboard for a while now and finally got around to using it last night:

1 x Can of Coopers Cervaza
1 kg Dextrose
500gms of Dried LME
30gms of Saaz pellets
6 x Fresh lemons
2 x Saflager 34/70 yeast.

Cut lemons into quarters and boil in 2L of water for 20 mins, mashing well with a potato masher.
Boil Dried LME and dex in a seperate pot for 30 mins.
15gms of Saaz @ 15 mins
Using a hopsock, strain contents of lemon water into boiling malt/dex @ 10 mins
15gms of Saaz @ flameout.
Crash chill in water bath.
Add to fermenter and top up to 23 Litres.
Pitch 2 packs of Saf 34/70 yeast @ 18deg and seal up fermenter.
OG - 1052
Colour is an eerie yellow/green and the test sample tstes very lemony.
Will probably rack to secondary at 7 days.

Less than 12 hrs after pitching, the ferment has really kicked in strong and so it's off to the ferment fridge to finish of at 9-11deg.
I wouldn't normally use 2 yeasts but I wanted to make sure this thing got off to a flying start.
Will post tsting notes if I remember.

Hey guys,

Ive got a can of this im ready to try as soon as my current batch it over.

I got BE2 (looking at the Nutritional Panel, its got 645g of sugar) so i was think of adding another 4-500 g of Dex. Would this b alright.

I plan on using the kit yeast as i can only keep the temp at 21'C

What u guys recomend?

anyone?

Aimre

Just the BE2 would be fine on its own.
All the extra Dex will do is bump up the alcohol of the finished beer as Dex is fully fermentable. It won't add any more body.
Throw some Saaz or Hersbrucker hops in just to make it interesting.
The kit yeast will be fine at 21deg, but if you can get a hold of a 100 can cooler to place your fermenter in, then you could ferment a little cooler for a cleaner beer.

Slurpdog

Hay aimre, i made mine with just the tin and coopers brew enhancer 2, up to the 23 litre mark. tastes great only had about 6 sconers tonight lol :beerbang:

I only used the yeast that came with the kit and it fermented at around 18 to 20 deg for about 6 days and im really happy with the results, i didnt add anything except what it said to do on the can and it tastes great(even though i have never been a corona fan) but mate its up to you, you could try it as per "instructions" or you could add some hops or some LME but id be happy so settle with the Brew enhancer 2 and add lemon or once you have it in the glass

I have been adding a slice of lime to my glass for a bit more of a bitter taste more than anything!!

ps i have ot on a keg!!

Aimre

Just the BE2 would be fine on its own.
All the extra Dex will do is bump up the alcohol of the finished beer as Dex is fully fermentable. It won't add any more body.
Throw some Saaz or Hersbrucker hops in just to make it interesting.
The kit yeast will be fine at 21deg, but if you can get a hold of a 100 can cooler to place your fermenter in, then you could ferment a little cooler for a cleaner beer.

Slurpdog

Thats what i was thinking, cos with the Dex in BE2 being so low, its only like 3% Alc

aimre - BE2 contains light dried malt extract [LDME] as well which is fermentable, gives body, and flavour to your brew. You should be looking at around the mid 4's mark. Actually, it should say on the packet what it will make up to %'ge-wise - check out the back of one next time your down at the local homebrew store or where ever.

I tried one of mine today after 3 days in the bottle. My recipe is above somewhere. It's the most cidery flavoured beer I have ever made. Tastes like a mix between Strongbow and Cooper's Sparkling Ale but more watery (I used 500g dex + 500g of rice malt syrup). Can't say there is much in the way of hops flavour either. It's early days yet but so far it's not tasting that great. Oh well, you have to try this stuff I guess.

heres what im thinking of putting down tomorrow. cheap summer lawnmower brew

2 cans x Coopers Cerzesa
250g dex or 250g rice malt
15g glacier hops @ 15min
15g glacier hops @ flameout
2 x lager yeast (s-23) @10C 3 weeks, @2C 1 week
28L. approx OG 1.045 FG 1.011. 5.%

Any suggestions for alterations to the hops schedule? Ive got 90g of glacier, so theres heaps to play with.

glacier shold give it a nice lemon taste. ive never used it before and I couldnt find anyones post brewing commenting on their hop schedule.

thx

heres what im thinking of putting down tomorrow. cheap summer lawnmower brew

2 cans x Coopers Cerzesa
250g dex or 250g rice malt
15g glacier hops @ 15min
15g glacier hops @ flameout
2 x lager yeast (s-23) @10C 3 weeks, @2C 1 week
28L. approx OG 1.045 FG 1.011. 5.%

Any suggestions for alterations to the hops schedule? Ive got 90g of glacier, so theres heaps to play with.

glacier shold give it a nice lemon taste. ive never used it before and I couldnt find anyones post brewing commenting on their hop schedule.

thx

How'd this go? I would have though two cans would be bitter enough, thought the finishing hops wouldn't hurt.

I changed the recipe last minute

1 Cerveza can,
350g Dex,
250g LDME, (should have used 100g Carapils or wheat extract instead of 100g of LDME- but didnt),
5g Glacier hops @20,
10g Glacier hops @15,
10g Glacier @10,
20g Glacier @ flameout,
22L
2 x saflager @ 12C for 3 weeks, then chill as cold as I can for another 2.
~4.2% before bottling. OG 1.038, FG 1.008

Having a look back at the receipe Im suprised if I actually used as much hops Ive said as the resulting beer is still light on Hop flavour and aroma. Although I may have used that much. I would possibly use 25g@10min if I did it again.

It is a nice summer lawnmower beer. Easy to knock back and the few guys who have tried have liked it, but thern again thats not hard as I personally dont think theres much to it.

Just bought this kit.

What do you recommend for getting a subtle lemon flavour through the beer? Fresh lemons? How many and what's the procedure?

Also, I've a got four 6g packs of Morgan's Lager yeast in the fridge. What these work with this beer if I fermented at 10C?

Thanks,

M

Just bought this kit.

What do you recommend for getting a subtle lemon flavour through the beer? Fresh lemons? How many and what's the procedure?

Also, I've a got four 6g packs of Morgan's Lager yeast in the fridge. What these work with this beer if I fermented at 10C?

Thanks,

M

I make a really nice chilli and kaffir lime beer out of that kit. Everyone that tries it loves it. Its my simpliest beer. Not quite sure if you like chilli.

1 x Coopers Cerveza
1 kg of BE 1 or 2

3 hot chillis cut up (only 3 - 4)
handful of kaffir lime leafs

throw them in just before pitching the yeast.

I dont rack this beer no need.

Wait 3 weeks before drinking as the in the first two weeks the kaffir lime leaf is really really strong and perfumey.

Im going on to all grain soon but I think I will continue to do this kit. Really easy and nice to drink. And Im not a fan of Corona.

If your not a chilli fan you could just use the kaffir lime leafs.

Cheers
Katie

I make a really nice chilli and kaffir lime beer out of that kit. Everyone that tries it loves it. Its my simpliest beer. Not quite sure if you like chilli.

1 x Coopers Cerveza
1 kg of BE 1 or 2

3 hot chillis cut up (only 3 - 4)
handful of kaffir lime leafs

throw them in just before pitching the yeast.

I dont rack this beer no need.

Wait 3 weeks before drinking as the in the first two weeks the kaffir lime leaf is really really strong and perfumey.

Im going on to all grain soon but I think I will continue to do this kit. Really easy and nice to drink. And Im not a fan of Corona.

If your not a chilli fan you could just use the kaffir lime leafs.

Cheers
Katie

Thanks for that Katie!

How does the flavour of the lime go in the long haul? I'm after a very subtle flavour.

M

Thanks for that Katie!

How does the flavour of the lime go in the long haul? I'm after a very subtle flavour.

M

After a week, its potent and overpowering. Mine is 2 months old now and awesome. I use about 12 leaves cut up so maybe use half of that... Can you source Kaffir Lime leaves??? You can get them dried but I recommend using fresh ones and you can keep them in the freezer. (Wooloworths have them) Kaffir Lime leaf is a different taste to lime but I think you will enjoy.

Try a bottle after a week... then wait its amazing how the lime mellows.

I hope you like it... let me know...

Katie

Back