Coopers Liquid Malt Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davecambo

Reaction score
hey there, my brew using brewcraft belgian wheat, coopers liquid malt extract (wheat) has come to a very slow bubble now. like every 4 mins or so. it is sitting at 1020 from an o.g of 1042. it has been 4 days. at a constant 22 degrees.

has anyone done a brew similar to mine and if so am i expected to get a light/mid strength beer or should the tin of coopers liquid malt extract give me a beer of around the 4% mark?

cheers.

You should hit around 4% or so, but 1020 sounds a little high for a final gravity. Sterilize your big spoon and give it a stir and see if you can wake up those yeast (or give the fermenter a good rock).

with just 2 tins of goo, i reckon your target gravity should be about 1015/16

Cheers SJ

Same as Morgans extract cans I suspect only about 50% fermentables in there.

Tend to give a higher FG. Should come down some more though. I would expect a FG about 1.015

too late follow Jim's advise. :icon_cheers:

From memory those BC tins are 1.8kg? If so, and you made it up to 23 litres you OG seems a little low, and you should be looking at an FG of just under 1015. Prolly looking at around 5% abv

The Brewcraft Bavarian Wheat (don't recall a Belgian Wheat) is 1.5kg, and the unhopped Coopers malt cans are also 1.5kgs. I reckon OG is pretty much what you'd expect for those ingredients.

Cheers SJ

Ahh in that case then yes, so the FG we're looking at would be around 1012-1013, in which case his SG at the moment is way too high. Give that baby a swirl.

On a side note, have the BC tins always been 1.5kg? I'm sure I've seen 1.8kg one's, admittedly a few years ago so I could be mistaken.

On a side note, have the BC tins always been 1.5kg? I'm sure I've seen 1.8kg one's, admittedly a few years ago so I could be mistaken.

No idea, all i recall is that Coopers hopped tins are 1.7kg, and Coopers unhopped are 1.5kg. Can't recall what BC is or was as it's been a long time since went into the store, let alone brewed with one of their tins.

Something about their 'why would you bother?" attitude to AG brewing

Cheers SJ

Sorry you are right it was bavarian wheat. and you are right about everything else too. i might give it a swirl and see what happens. ill check the gravity in a sec i just got in and wanted to see if anyone replied. i will add some more fermentables next time be it honey or whatever as from what i can tell it looks like it slowed down pretty quickly.

its on 1018. i just gave it a good stir with steralized spoon. anything else i can do to get it down a bit? i cant add more yeast can i or more fermentables without ruining it can i?

Latest posts

Back