Cooper's Light Liquid Malt Low OG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkilleen

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but I've been using Coopers' LLME for years and never encountered problems with low OG before. Recently I have had 3 English Ale recipes start with low gravity. Eg Theakstons OP should be around 1058 and mine was 1032. I have checked and double checked the recipe, temperature correction and so on but it's as I've done many times before. eg 4.5 kgs of LLME for 25 litres plus the usual crystal and chocolate steeped grains. I buy my LLME direct from Coopers and I'm wondering if there have been some batch issues.

I recently did a stout using coopers dark lme and that turned out spot on so maybe there are issues with the density of the LLME?

Well 4.5kg of extract in 25L should be giving you about 1.0546 (+ a bit extra from your steeped grains) so if you are doing everything right I would be asking Coopers.
You could if you had some LLME and a decent pair of scales and a measuring jug, weigh a sample and check the density
1L should weigh about 1334g (give or take), if it were too far from there I would be having words with Coopers.
Mark

Edit
Mind you that's a drop in gravity of about 45%, the LLME would be pretty thin (watery), odds against it getting through QA at coopers that far off spec is pretty low.
On the off chance recalibrate your Hydrometer
Mark

Hi Mark
I did call Coopers and they just called me back. They suggested that not all of the malt had dissolved in the FV and guess what? It hadn't, my fault and apologies to all who read my waste of time thread!
David

Mate its a learning curve, Coopers generally make pretty good and consistent product, so I'm not too surprised at the answer.
I might not have replied, but anyone making TOP should be encouraged, something of a personal favorite.
Mark

Mate its a learning curve, Coopers generally make pretty good and consistent product, so I'm not too surprised at the answer.
I might not have replied, but anyone making TOP should be encouraged, something of a personal favorite.
Mark
Quite right...TOP one of mine too done it loads of times. I use the CAMRA recipe book a lot...Bible!

This is why I don't bother with OG readings with kits, well that and I'm lazy

Latest posts

Back