Coopers (Lager) Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you will find it's Mauri 497 Lager yeast.
There is an old saying among brewers
We make wort, yeast makes beer

It would be a good idea to have a read up on how to get the most out of your yeast, you will make better beer and at little or no greater cost.
Mark

Attachments

• Yeast Mauribrew_Lager_497 (1).pdf
    363.2 KB · Views: 0
The brew I made with lager yeast ended up being nearly 3 months from start to finish and was a long time in the fermentation fridge. I only did it once and then waited till winter to try again. I still have lager yeast packs left over from last year that didn't get used. With the weather cooling considerably next week, it could be a good time to have another go.

I've never seen those instructions to do the kit at those low temperatures. I don't have a tin or old label but I'll have to check next time I but one.

The brew I made with lager yeast ended up being nearly 3 months from start to finish and was a long time in the fermentation fridge. I only did it once and then waited till winter to try again. I still have lager yeast packs left over from last year that didn't get used. With the weather cooling considerably next week, it could be a good time to have another go.

I've never seen those instructions to do the kit at those low temperatures. I don't have a tin or old label but I'll have to check next time I but one.
This article describes a somewhat faster method but when I read the comments I saw that even the author no longer follows it :oops:
My brew was Thomas Coopers Golden Crown Lager. No directions on the tin so I looked them up and printed. I can no longer find the link, but the printout clearly says to pitch at 21-24 deg (I ignored that one) and ferment at the lower end of 13-18 deg C.
The encouraging news is that the brew has warmed to 18C and I'm seeing the first signs of bubbles.

I'm no expert but as far as I know you don't brew at 13degC, it's far too cold. Maybe some yeasts can do it but not regular years.
You do if Coopers put a lager or hybrid yeast in the lager kit. They use hybrids a lot as most beginner kit brewers have no temp control. Hybrid covers all the bases. But if they are saying to drop the temp, they would have provided a yeast to do it.

I bought a can yesterday just to check and there is no instruction to use low temperature. Other than the written instruction inside the label there is a direction to go to diybeer.com/101. When you select Original series Lager you see the same instructions I posted above. The International series European Lager is the same. They might be hybrid yeast but they are not low temperature lager yeast.

Edit: i missed one of your posts. Thomas Cooper Crown Lager is 18'C - 21'C but will ferment as low as 13'C, or so it says. I've never used it. Good news about it starting up for you. I did the Brulosophy method as well. It was ok and worked.

Last edited:
I bought a can yesterday just to check and there is no instruction to use low temperature. Other than the written instruction inside the label there is a direction to go to diybeer.com/101. When you select Original series Lager you see the same instructions I posted above. The International series European Lager is the same. They might be hybrid yeast but they are not low temperature lager yeast.

Edit: i missed one of your posts. Thomas Cooper Crown Lager is 18'C - 21'C but will ferment as low as 13'C, or so it says. I've never used it. Good news about it starting up for you. I did the Brulosophy method as well. It was ok and worked.
Thanks for reminding me of the 'beer101' link, which led me to the recipe. Scrolling down to the 'Brew" heading will show that suggested 13-18C temp range.
Thomas Coopers Golden Crown Lage | Coopers DIY Beer 101
I'm calling this day 2 of fermentation: currently at 19degC and light tendrils of foam still evident, so I'll just stay around this temp and, keep an eye on it and take occasional gravity readings. Once I'm happy ferm is proceeding I'll cool it back down somewhat.

Thomas Cooper Crown Lager is 18'C - 21'C but will ferment as low as 13'C, or so it says. I've never used it. Good news about it starting up for you

Just brewing at a higher temp is the go anyway. Home brewing a true lager is just too hard IMO. You need a lager yeast, temp control, temp rest and then store it cold afterwards. Every kit lager I did with ale yeast did a passable job, without the fuss. I'll never make a decent Pilsner Urquell anyway, so I might as well buy a few.

Just brewing at a higher temp is the go anyway. Home brewing a true lager is just too hard IMO. You need a lager yeast, temp control, temp rest and then store it cold afterwards. Every kit lager I did with ale yeast did a passable job, without the fuss. I'll never make a decent Pilsner Urquell anyway, so I might as well buy a few.
I'm in QLD so even 20 C is cooler than ambient. 😁

I only did it once and, as I said, it took the fermenter fridge for way too long. Nice beer but way too much work.

Back