Coopers Ipa - The Can That Just Keeps Giving

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcqueen

Reaction score
I brewed with a can of this gold in a can a while back, and I reflected on the recipe when I created it. Admittedly, I was aiming for an American version of IPA but ended up with something more like an English IPA by accident.

The recipe I used was:

1 x can Coopers IPA
1kg Light Dry Malt
400g CaraMalt
100g Medium Crystal
30g Cascade @ 15
12 g Nelson @15
13g Nelson @5

I dry hopped 13g of Nelson

I kegged it, and the flavour was an initial hit of bitterness, but after a week it mellowed out a bit and was bloody fantastic!

I recently tasted Heretic Brewing's "Evil Cousin" and that had an IBU of 100, it was bitter but damn! the dryhopping made me wanting to come back for more. :icon_drool2:

So my next quest with this can was an American IPA. I would like to know what your thoughts are, seeing as hopping this at a late stage seems to be the shiz!

1 x can Coopers

Light Dry Malt 800g (might even put 1kg)
Wheat Dry Malt 500g

300g CaraMalt
100g Medium Crystal
400g Dextrose

Hops (this is where I want the advice)

Amarillo 20g @ 5 mins
Amarillo 20g @ flameout
Nelson Sauvin Dryhopped 20g

US-05

19 litres

Ive run it through Ianh's spreadsheet and it looks close to the mark in terms of the style...

Im gunning for a Nelson hit, but really an aroma that backs it up in terms of "dank" (sticky/clingy to the palate) I dont know if Amarillo will cut it (realising its citrus overtones)

Would love some advice, as Im planning to bottle it to hand out at my wedding early November to all the male guests to take home as a present :D

Cant offer any advice re Hop run but love the idea of the gift to the male guests maybe you could call it Beerboniere instead of the traditional Bomboniere :D :D

Good Luck with it

Everything looks good only if your unsure of the amarillo swap out the first 20g addition for 20g of CITRA. Will make it a little more bitter aswell as the AA is slightly higher. I really like the combo of citra and amarillo, and with nelson on top well that would be amazing.

Cheers jake.

Latest posts

Back