Coopers IPA kit with extras

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizenya

Reaction score
Hi all

OK, first time making a full batch again and man I'm excited.

Have a Coopers IPA kit with a LHBS additive kit containing LME, Dext, Multo and some cracked grain. It also has hop pellets and required a little boil just to get everything going (10 mins to boil, then 10 mins of simmer).

Have used US-05 and have it all set up in the new beer fridge that I had lying around. Temp controller courtesy of Country Brewer (Keg King made) with heat and cool set stay around 18C.

Pitched yeast in with an OG of 1046.

Man feels great to get one going again!!

Good stuff! Im about to put my second brew down, also an ipa with citra. Super exited!!

mattymcfatty said:
Good stuff! Im about to put my second brew down, also an ipa with citra. Super exited!!
This is exactly what I put down on Sunday. :) Its smellnig and tasing pretty good though early days yet, and stil needs a LOT of maturing.

I've had a homebrew kit for years, and have put down a fair few kits in tat time, but in recent years I haven't had the time to do it so much. Getting back into it now taht I have a STC-1000 temp controller going, and this is effectively my second brew too. :)

Yeah how good are the temp controllers?

Westher is nice in Adelaide at the moment, with warm days and cool nights (27-14) but the temp controller has kept the wort at a nice 18.0-18.2 degrees

Bubbling like mad today

Will do some dry hoping in another three days with Cascade to add a little more flavours

So much fun!

Well the low tech methods worked for the Incas / Mayans / Egyptians etc etc too-

History can't be wrong (but I assume that they did not use frozen juice bottles) :lol:

The Incans and the Mayans *did* die out though.... so it can't have worked *too* good for them. :)

Yes, but as stated above they didn't have frozen juice bottle technology

Mick0s did you use citra in your ipa? If so how many grams did you use? I understand how to calculate bittering hops but I haven't figured out how many grams are needed to impart flavour. Ive got 50 grams.

Tested gravity today and had a taste - 1020 and tasted good!!

Very much looking forward to it now!!

+1 for the frozen juice bottles too- could have hurled them at the conquistadors and might have saved em

Awesome!! Can't wait. Do you get a fair fair bit of bitterness from the kit?

Yeah it was quite bitter- it had Golding hop pellets added in too- they were boiled at the start of getting everything together for 30 mins.

Im dry hopping Cascade tomorrow to increase the flavour and aroma- just how i like my IPA

Managed to get mine done today...coopers ipa, 1kg light dme, 600gm dextrose, 15gm citra @ 10mins, 10gm citra @ 0 and 25 gram citra dry hop in a few days. Can't wait for this badboy to ferment

Sounds good- we will have to check back in with each other for reviews- hopefully our tastes are similar!

which yeast did you use? Coopers?

For sure man. I used the kit yeast, you? I was considering getting us-05
but considering my temp control I didn't know how it would turn out. My next brew I'll be using a saison yeast.
Looking forward to the ipa but I think it may need a few weeks to mellow a bit.

I ended up with US-05 and rehydrated it before pitching

Seemed to get it going well.

Just dry hopped with 25g Cascade - and agree with the mellowing- but I do like em fresh and hoppy!

Ill keep you posted. You may even catch me without temp control- I still think I have 3 days to go

Old mate at the LHBS recommended I put 25g of Citra in for 15 minutes of boil.

So thats all i've done. Its probably a little too far along now for dry hopping, so maybe I'll give that a crack on my next batch. (i have a feeling this might become a regular recipe, adding a bit more complexity each time).

Sitting around 1.010 SG at the moment, so I'll check it nonight, and probably give a few days of cold crash chilling before bottling on the w/end.

And then onto whatever's next (thinking a Canadian Blonde, with some berries thrown in, saw the recipe on the coopers site, sounded interesting).

Oh, and yeah, I need to start thinking about yeast, as I've tyically used whatever comes i the cans thus far.

Bizenya said:
Hi all

OK, first time making a full batch again and man I'm excited.

Have a Coopers IPA kit with a LHBS additive kit containing LME, Dext, Multo and some cracked grain. It also has hop pellets and required a little boil just to get everything going (10 mins to boil, then 10 mins of simmer).

Have used US-05 and have it all set up in the new beer fridge that I had lying around. Temp controller courtesy of Country Brewer (Keg King made) with heat and cool set stay around 18C.

Pitched yeast in with an OG of 1046.

Man feels great to get one going again!!
Where did you get that Kit if I may ask....how much and is there a Kit number??

Wow that is faster than mine- i was at 1016 yesterday,

the difference in taste before dry hop and after was quite remarkable- really has a nice cascade hit now!

Odysseym said:
Where did you get that Kit if I may ask....how much and is there a Kit number??
Hey there

The can is just a Coopers IPA, with a LHBS additive kit. Im not sure where you are based, but if your in Adelaide go see Bill at Brewmaker at Holden Hill and he will sort you out.

I have not posted the exact quantities or types out of respect for him cos its his additive kit and do not want to cut his lunch

I dry hopped with cascade as I dig the IPA with this type of end flavour- my twist on his design. I will probably talk to him and get it modified a bit more towards my taste too (he did tell me what was in it)

Back