Coopers Homebrew Lager (is it really)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Ninja

Reaction score
I took to browsing the homebrew section at Woollies the other day as SWMBO lingered in the vegie isle. Now I'm not a lager brewer, apart from a one off fresh wort bock which I lagered for eight weeks, but out of curiosity re the ingredients of the $8 woollies homebrand lager I had a look at the lable and noticed the instructions were to brew as an ale - no lagering process. Got home and downloaded brewing instructions for Coopers 'original' series which includes a lager. Same instructions, no lagering process, just drink two weeks after bottling.

So this begs the question are these products actually lagers or just blonde/pale ales with an ale yeast under the lid?

Mostly ale yeast, some coopers products are hybrids and a couple of the coopers have proper lager yeast
Homebrand probably just ale.
Coopers actually list somewhere which are ale, hybrid or lager.
Remember that kk draught is only draught if you keg it.

It's beer. Lets not split hairs. What's laggering anyway?

Vini2ton said:
It's beer. Lets not split hairs. What's laggering anyway?
Its basically will power. You hold off for a few weeks after you ferment it to see how strong your will power is

Was at the brewery today doing a bit of work. Did see one lager yeast group of sachets.

Their Golden packaged yeast packs have a code that you can check up on their website.
I like their ale dry yeast its good. Their supplied pack with the Lager I tried once smelt like eggs.
That's what Lager yeast is supposed to smell like yes?
I think they have it all right but trying to sell to the newbie market of home brewers.
So trying to make a Lager yeast that will work without temp control for the beginners.

lagering...one of the best tests for a beer lover's willpower...but well worth it in my opinion, a simple lager with the smooth flavour of some saaz hops coming through is the tits :)

Danscraftbeer said:
so then. Can you lager an Ale? and call it a Lager? :chug:
Sort of, I'd say yeah. More commonly known as cold conditioning, If you make a lager-like wort using pilsner or lager malt and then use a neutral ale yeast and then cold condition - you will end up with a lager-like ale. Oh! wait. It's called a Kolsch, so there you go, an ale that tastes like a lager has already been invented an named. :D

If its been lagered it's lagered but not a lager,all though lagers are typically lagered if you lager an ale it's an ale that has been lagered but again not a lager...I think. Hey, I just had a brain fart,if I remember something is it a lagered memory or am I just a silly old fart.

spog said:
If its been lagered it's lagered but not a lager,all though lagers are typically lagered if you lager an ale it's an ale that has been lagered but again not a lager...I think. Hey, I just had a brain fart,if I remember something is it a lagered memory or am I just a silly old fart.
Your interesting comment certainly adds to the knowledge pool of this thread Mr. Spog. Do you chuck tuna's?

manticle said:
Mostly ale yeast, some coopers products are hybrids and a couple of the coopers have proper lager yeast
Homebrand probably just ale.
Coopers actually list somewhere which are ale, hybrid or lager.
Remember that kk draught is only draught if you keg it.
Thanks. This is probably the list you mention.
https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/7290/

Their European Lager comes with lager yeast. Don't know which other one does.

Just use Notto in the middle of winter if you want a good beer.

Nizmoose said:
Lager = lager yeast
Ale = ale yeast

AFAIK it does not get any more complicated than that.
Not true. What about the Hybrids? BJCP Styles 6a, 6b, 6c and 6d. Not everything is in black and white.

Many of the appalling 1960s to 1990s lagers in the UK (Harp, Skol, Carling etc) were top fermented and were just basically blonde ales made with heaps of adjunct and little or no hops. Until a few years ago XXXX heavy was labelled "Bitter Ale", and of course Cascade Pale Ale still anounces its ale-ness despite obviously being a lager.

In Germany if you ask for a lager you'll get a look of incomprehension although they might show you the cellar.

Bribie G said:
Many of the appalling 1960s to 1990s lagers in the UK (Harp, Skol, Carling etc) were top fermented and were just basically blonde ales made with heaps of adjunct and little or no hops. Until a few years ago XXXX heavy was labelled "Bitter Ale", and of course Cascade Pale Ale still anounces its ale-ness despite obviously being a lager.

In Germany if you ask for a lager you'll get a look of incomprehension although they might show you the cellar.
Obviously?
How does one tell?

Coopers Original Series Lager comes with an ale yeast. All the OS tins come with the same ale yeast.

The only two tins that come with a true lager yeast to my knowledge are the Euro Lager and the Thomas Coopers Pilsner.

The others are all either straight ale yeast or a combination ale+lager yeast blend.

Latest posts

Back