Coopers Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
Simple question for a newbie.

I have made several beers and have been happy with the results. I am now going to try a coopers ginger beer. The kit says to use raw sugar, but I thought with beer it is best to use dextrose rather than raw sugar.

Therefore my question is, should I use raw sugar or dextrose? (or a coopers brew enhancer?)

thanks for your help.

do a search on this site - Use GMK - and Ginger Beer - my recipee is on here.
I used a Coopers Ginger Beer Can...
Very Good - but you need raw sugar and other stuff.

It isnt beer its beer in name only its more of a soft drink, dont forget.

Hi Hammer,

I made up this kit on Sunday with 2 Kilos of white sugar, a grated ginger root (boiled for 20 minutes, strained and added to fermenter) and the kit yeast. OG was about 1032 and the airlock has been actively bubbling away for the last 3 days sitting at around 19 degrees. This is the first ginger beer I've done, so I'm keen to see how it turns out, but I think for the $$$'s it's cheap enough to try and experiment with these kits and additives to see what you like - good luck. :chug:

Cheers,

Morrie

The last GB I did was a Coopers and was the first time I had tried that brand.
But unlike all the past times with other brands and where I had used Dextrose, I thought I'd give the raw sugar a go. The result was really good, and so far is the best GB I have made.

I made the Coopers ginger beer last summer and it was a beauty. The reason to avoid sugar in beer is because it leaves a cidery taste. This is not an issue in ginger beer, you want that added flavour, so use sugar and not dextrose.

thanks for the info guys. I think as a starter i'll make it according to the kit. then i may try GMK's brew.

do a search on this site - Use GMK - and Ginger Beer - my recipee is on here.
I used a Coopers Ginger Beer Can...
Very Good - but you need raw sugar and other stuff.

Im interested in having a look at this but i cant seem to find it...

If anybody knows where it is could you please post the link.

Cheers, Sloth.

Get the grumpy's ginger beer/ale masterbrew thingy. You won't regret it, bloody sensational stuff.

I have a love of rum and often drink it with ginger beer, bundy ginger beer is good but very expensive when you have a rum session.

K

well i ended up making similar to GMK's ginger beer brew.

Coopers GB kit
brew enhancer 2
250g malt
500g dextrose
110 gms ginger
400g CSR Dark Brown Sugar
1.5 tsp cinnamon
0.5tsp Nutmeg
0.25tsp Ground cloves
0.5 lemon sliced
0.5 lime sliced

It has been in the bottles now for 1 month. I gave it a crack the other day and its not too bad. i was expecting it to be sweet form experience and what I had read. However it is not sweet at all and it has a nice tang of ginger and alcohol to it. now to try some dark and stormies!

i mix the following with good results
the coopers gb can
500-1000g of brewing sugar
500g of a light honey

i adjust the sugar to adjust the alcohol level

I did the Coopers Ginger Beer with raw sugar (1 kilo) and it was very nice. Very much like Bunderburg GB with with a longer ginger burn at the end, so if anything it was even nicer. Trouble is though, I'm having problems finding it at supermarkets or even home brew shops. If someone could help me, I'd be grateful.

I've just kegged one up that had 1kg Dex and 500g Dark Brown Sugar.

It's the first Coopers ginger beer I've done and I reckon it's a bit sweet because of the artificial sweetener. I normally use the Old Fashioned kits with the same ingredients but the saccharine comes in a packet that you can chuck in the bin whereas it's already mixed in with the Coopers one. The missus seems to like the sweeter brew but I doubt I'll bother with the Coopers kit again.

Back