Coopers European Lager Extra Malt Hop Idea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onslo

Reaction score
Hi

My first post since being a clandestine lurker for a long while.

I am going to brew a variation on the Coopers Euro Lager and will try a yummy local barley malt at 1.5 kg with no sugar or dextrose and thinking some Amarillo or Saaz and Cascade hops. What suggestions have ye and what thinks yall of using only barley malt as a sugar.

Should I boil or just dry hop?

Thanks

coopers wheat extract plus some saaz is what i would try. not too much prolly only 15-20g dry hopped as the can has some bitterness already.

Oops forgot to ask how the yeast is that comes with the Coopers European Lager? I have some Cold Ferment Lager yeast. Saflager S-23. Should I substitute this?

Thanks again.

Wanting to build this tonight so any timely suggestions appreciated.

The answers to your questions depend on what you want in the finished product. Amarillo and cascade will give you citrus flavours, saaz will give you the herbal/grassiness you get in euro lagers. Not sure how they would blend but I would tend to go for cascade and saaz or cascade and amarillo rather than amarillo and saaz if you do want to blend. Cascade early in a boil, saaz later or amarillo early, amarillo and cascade for flavour then cascade late.

Dry hopping with saaz has given me way too much grassiness in the past.

A lot of what you decide will depend on how long your boil is. Are you hoping to add bitterness, flavour, aroma or all three?

The suggested ferment temps for the european lager kit seem to be in keeping with the idea that it's a genuine lager yeast. 7 g isn't much though - lager usually needs more than ale.

Welcome to the cut and thrust Onslow. What exactly do you mean by "yummy local barley malt"? Are you referring to grain malt that you are going to mash and boil and use with the Coopers kit?

The answers to your questions depend on what you want in the finished product. Amarillo and cascade will give you citrus flavours, saaz will give you the herbal/grassiness you get in euro lagers. Not sure how they would blend but I would tend to go for cascade and saaz or cascade and amarillo rather than amarillo and saaz if you do want to blend. Cascade early in a boil, saaz later or amarillo early, amarillo and cascade for flavour then cascade late.

Dry hopping with saaz has given me way too much grassiness in the past.

A lot of what you decide will depend on how long your boil is. Are you hoping to add bitterness, flavour, aroma or all three?

The suggested ferment temps for the european lager kit seem to be in keeping with the idea that it's a genuine lager yeast. 7 g isn't much though - lager usually needs more than ale.

Thanks Manticle

I understand the kit is rather bitter and pretty dominated by Saaz from poring this forum. Therefore I was tending to avoid too much boiling and probably should continue the Saaz addition as sometimes the flavor can be a bit cluttered in some beers with many different hops. In saying that I am addicted to Amarillo and would use it on meringue if allowed. Maybe your right and should avoid the Amarillo in this kit.

I am after one of those Lager styles that is verging on Pils. (my description).

Saaz is a traditionally used hop in pils.

You could do a hop boil by using some DME and water then add the kit in at the end to dissolve.

I love amarillo too but I'm not sure whether they'd marry well. Only one way to find out I guess but I don't add rosemary to my raita even though I love rosemary AND yoghurt and cucumber.

Welcome to the cut and thrust Onslow. What exactly do you mean by "yummy local barley malt"? Are you referring to grain malt that you are going to mash and boil and use with the Coopers kit?

Thanks for the welcome, what a site eh...

" Yummy local barley malt" is probably not described in Wikipedia but it is a liquid malt that is extracted down here in Tasmania, it is yummy because it tastes very nice especially in my home brew. No mash and boil here... intrudes into my drinking time.

Back