Coopers Cerveza Head Problem?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blink471

Reaction score
Sounds weird the title but that's it in a nutshell.

I brewed a kit beer Coopers Cerveza using ingredients as per instructed.

It has been in bottle for 3 weeks and I have to say..... It tastes great.

But although there is good carbonation... I cant pour a glass and have good head retention.

Maybe the way I cleaned the bottles I don't know.... But its got me confused.

I am very pedantic in sterilising. So do think there is a problem there.

Any suggestions...

Nice drop though...

Probably the ingredients themselves. How was the glass itself washed also? Could be detergent residue.

That's the way Coopers Cerveza is. I do a K&K with BE2 for my son quite often & even with some extra maltodextrin head retention is minimal.

As above, and Cervesa often doesn't have a great head. The kit instructions call for a blend of fermentables with a heap of dextrose. Coopers brew enhancer 1 or similar. Not the best for head formation or retention . Putting some bottles in the fridge for a few days often helps too. And as in the previous post, make sure your glassware are very clean.

Hey thanks all... yeah been through the clean glass situation... tried a few options there. Might be just the mix that is doing it.. and maybe give it more time.
I like the taste though and think it has potential... just hate when the top goes flat real quick...

Have you tried a nucleated glass such as Headmaster. They can often help beer that can't hold a head.

Maybe steep some grains to help retain or give it some head. When I clean my beer glasses I use starsan in a 500 ml spray bottle and then place them in the fridge to cool , beer and glasses colder the better for light body beers.
If you have good carbonation and the beer tastes good to you then three weeks is enough. Three to six weeks works for me.

I've done same kit before for a Xmas keg. It had very little head but taste was fine. If u were to pour a corona into a glass I think u would find that it has little to no head. I'm no expert but I'm guessing it's normal for this style of beer.

If you're happy with the taste that's all that matters really.

plus one for steeping some grain TwoCrows….

no grain = no head!

no matter how clean the glass is.

Yeah mine was the same. Still is too 3 months after bottling. Actually had one last night with the FIL and tasted great but just clear as clear can be and no head whatsoever.

Brewsta said:
plus one for steeping some grain TwoCrows….

no grain = no head!

no matter how clean the glass is.
As a sideline... I have tried using a Coopers Canadian Blonde.. and its early in the bottle.. (only two weeks).. Im finding this same thing. Carbonation but no head. I have since learnt with info on here... and currently trying.. is using Hop additions. Apparently can help in head retention. But steeping grain sounds interesting...

Chunk of bluestone or brick in the bottom of the glass or stubble when drinking!

really Skilbys? he may just end up getting stoned!!! :D

stick with the grains Blink471, you won't look back.

P.S. if i've read your post right, I don't think hops will help your head retention, but they will add extra flavour / bitterness & or aroma depending on your method.

Extract kits have already been hopped so go easy on the extra hop additions at first. I'd lean more to using some steeped specialty grains like Carapils or Carahell (250-350gms) for these styles & maybe think about substituting any sugars for light dry malt or a combination of the two, then experiment with additional hops as your taste buds require.

They may not be like the original, but you should end up with a pretty decent beer to drink which you may end up preferring anyway.

Brewsta said:
P.S. if i've read your post right, I don't think hops will help your head retention, but they will add extra flavour / bitterness & or aroma depending on your method.

Thanks mate. I found where I read about it...

http://brewwiki.com/index.php/Head_Retention
  • Addition of high alpha hops - which will increase bitterness, but also increas isohumulones that enhance head retention
So I thought it couldnt hurt...

Thanks for reply...

I've read something similar to that actually and have noticed in beers with a lot of hops that the head does seem to linger longer and also laces better.

Thanks for that Blink, I didn't know that….sorry to lead you astray!

Everyday's a school day, huh!

Rocker1986 said:
I've read something similar to that actually and have noticed in beers with a lot of hops that the head does seem to linger longer and also laces better.

Yep, it's the hop oils so I understand.

Well I will find out in a week or two when brew ready to drink... But aside from that.. I do love the smell the hops give off when steeped... mmmmmm Beeeer.

when i (rarely) drink corona or dos equis i dont notice any head at all...

Dump the BE2 in preference use 500g light dry malt extract and 500g wheat malt extract. OR as already mentioned, steeping 250g of Briess carapils malt (milled) and steeping it in 2L of hot water for 20 minutes, then remove the grain, boil the liqiid for 10 minutes and add that to the mix.either will improve the situation.

Back