Coopers bookmakers pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would Brew it with us05. But thats me. I keep the good coopers yeasts sometimes as a yeast topper for some of my stronger brew. (1050+ OG) but thats if im in need and dont have something on hand.

decr said:
Went back to LHBS and mentioned how shit it was, they said yep bad batch of yeast and gave me another kit for free. The white scum I got on top is apparently a known issue. Now do I dare to brew it or not...
So is this a coopers known problem? I may have to check the website and see if there is anything mentioned.. At this stage I'm down around $100. The Devils half porter worked out ok with the kit yeast though.
Would be great to get sent a new order for free though!

I know. Its interesting to see how bad it is. I must admit my bootmaker wasnt the best and at the time i put it down to yeast. I have the devils porter ready too that ill try and let you know. Stock yeast and nottingham. Hope its not bad. I bought the can about 2 months ago. What happens if its crap too? Id be out 2 brews. Do i contact coopers? Or LHBS

Put this down today.
Bootmakers can
500g ldm
500g wheat malt
200g crystal grain steeped
10g Ella, 10g mosaic, 10g cascade. All at 1min.
Us05 pitched at 18.
Have fermenter set at 17.
Hope it's delicious. Will let you know in 2 weeks. [emoji482]

Coppers admitted there was a problem with their new yeasts in the pale, Amber and ipa. They were changed at the warehouse as soon as they were aware of the issue and a notification sent out to all brew shops via there respective state reps to pull all remaining kits from the shelf until fresh yeast arrived. I would be taking the issue up with Coppers as the new yeast was supposed to fix it.

On a side note though why are people still under pitching using the supplied kit yeast. I know they state it's a premium yeast it's still under pitching. Always use a better reputable yeast and pitch appropriately.

I fell undr that banner and its not something you just click and know.
You assume that the yeast supplied is enough.
There is no exact right or wrong way.
And there is sooooooooooooo much information that also conflicts regularly.

I have had success with with pitching single packets of the under the lid yeast.
Generally I will buy 2 of each can and pitch both the packs then dump the next brew on the cake. Had worked remarkabley well so far.
I thought against my better judgement that I would do these "new and improved cans" a try as cooper state. I admit that this was the first and last times I will be not adding extras to a kit.
And if it's the yeast under the can that has caused that it's fine.
I will be writing to coopers and trying to get replacement cans still.

Ok so was just about time for me to re stock the cans and I thought I'll shoot coopers a line. Turns out that the cans I purchased were in the run of cans that had the bad yeast!! All 3 were affected as they ran same/similar yeast that was bad. That day they sent new cans out for free! . Wouldn't inform me any more than "it was the first run of yeast that was BAD" don't know if it was the reception chick just unaware or what..
Pritty stoked with the refund/replacement and also knowing that it wasn't me that caused it to turn out shit!

Im waiting on keggin mine....has been fermenting for 8 days now......just starting to slow down......I used the new IPA kit yeast that I didnt use with the IPA....so is that bad yeast? I ordered straight from coopers......

Digga said:
Ok so was just about time for me to re stock the cans and I thought I'll shoot coopers a line. Turns out that the cans I purchased were in the run of cans that had the bad yeast!! All 3 were affected as they ran same/similar yeast that was bad. That day they sent new cans out for free! . Wouldn't inform me any more than "it was the first run of yeast that was BAD" don't know if it was the reception chick just unaware or what..
Pritty stoked with the refund/replacement and also knowing that it wasn't me that caused it to turn out shit!
So where do you get the info on if your can is the bad batch or not? I just purchased mine from HBS and wouldn't want the yeast to kill the batch.

The ones they were happy to refund where the IPA, pale ale and the amber ale. She said the amber ale should have been fine. I said that was the worst one had the strongest off though taste and all 3 had the same off flavor.
If I was both stu brew and hitmanAU I would be contacting coopers and asking if they can see if your order is the one. And HitmanAU I would ask if there is some sort of identification on the can that can trace back.
Good luck.
If you haven't used the can yet just use US05 instead

Also she said it was the first 10 runs of cans so you would have had to buy them some time ago to get a bad one.

I've contacted them on Facebook. Mine has an expiry of next year.
Also my can is dented, is that a problem?

HitmanAU said:
So where do you get the info on if your can is the bad batch or not? I just purchased mine from HBS and wouldn't want the yeast to kill the batch.
I'm sure I read on the Coopers forum that they are narrowed to down to which outlets had sold the dodgy cans. But you'd best wait till they get back to you.

Thanks guys. If they don't get back to me by tomorrow I'll drop it anyway ;)

So Im kegged now. I used the IPA yeast from a kit I bought 8 weeks ago from QLD was the new version IPA can on my bootmaker mix bought direct from Coopers. The bootmaker has this weird metallic yeasty taste to it......never had it in a beer before....its not oxidized....im letting it cold condition more to see if I can drop the yeast out more to see if I dont have to chuck it....its barely drinkable but I did use a fair bit of hops so it hides the taste a little....not overly impressed that was almost $50 worth including the hops that mix :(

Toad said:
Put this down today.
Bootmakers can
500g ldm
500g wheat malt
200g crystal grain steeped
10g Ella, 10g mosaic, 10g cascade. All at 1min.
Us05 pitched at 18.
Have fermenter set at 17.
Hope it's delicious. Will let you know in 2 weeks. [emoji482]
I don't know what went wrong but this shit is nasty. I'm thinking it may have got an infection it tastes that bad. Smells like punch and is tart.
I used us05 so it's not the yeast. This was the most expensive brew I've made so very disappointed.
A noob question.... I used 200g cracked crystal grain. Is this the wrong grain? I have since read that perhaps light crystal or pale crystal are what I should of used. Or is it all just crystal? Mine was a 1kg bag of mangrove jacks cracked crystal grain.

Toad said:
I don't know what went wrong but this shit is nasty. I'm thinking it may have got an infection it tastes that bad. Smells like punch and is tart.
I used us05 so it's not the yeast. This was the most expensive brew I've made so very disappointed.
A noob question.... I used 200g cracked crystal grain. Is this the wrong grain? I have since read that perhaps light crystal or pale crystal are what I should of used. Or is it all just crystal? Mine was a 1kg bag of mangrove jacks cracked crystal grain.
IVe been brewing for 5 years....just started all grain......Im pretty sure its not the tiny bit of crystal ;)

Latest posts

Back