Cooper's Australian Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidghost

Reaction score
Hello guys, I am planning to get the Cooper's Australian Pale Ale goo and perhaps 1kg of BE2. I was wondering what else could I add to make the beer even better? I am thinking of using some speciality grains for steeping. Any recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Hello guys, I am planning to get the Cooper's Australian Pale Ale goo and perhaps 1kg of BE2. I was wondering what else could I add to make the beer even better? I am thinking of using some speciality grains for steeping. Any recommendation is greatly appreciated.

I use this can with a quick boil of say 12g of Amarillo for 25mins, then another 12g at end of boil. Makes a bloody nice easy beer!

Reculture some yeast from a few Coopers Pale stubbies, and chuck away the packet yeast - this will get you a result very close to the original, if that's what you're after.

I did a brew 2 weeks ago using the cooper's pale ale can. I don't have the exact recipe with me, but it was something like:

1.7 Coopers PA
750g light DME
250g Dex
250g crystal mal
200g carapils (both steeped for about 30 mins)
20g cascade at 20 mins
20g cascade at 0 mins
US05 yeast
Filled to 23 litres

It gets bottled on Saturday, but the hydrometer samples have tasted absolutely divine - can't wait for it to carb up.

I will definitely being doing something similar again very shortly - I now have some amarillo hops, so a combination of that and cascade should work quite nicely.

Brendo

Depends on what you want it to taste like. If you want it to tastse like the retail product, just add POR hops and coopers recultured yeast. The BE#2 should fit the bill, otherwise 600-700g DME and 400-300g dextrose.
If you want it to taste like an american pale ale, go for amarillo and us56 yeast.
You don't really need to add much in the way of grains to the kit unless you want it to not taste like coopers pale ale, the kit is pretty good as it is.

Just about to bottle my Australian Pale Ale, after 10 days in primary it's tasting very nice, a little light on flavour but similar to pale ale, has that definitive PoR hop edge.

- Pale Ale can
- BE2 (1kg) which I believe is 500g dext, 250g LME, 250g maltodex (corn syrup)
- Coopers Pale Ale yeast (1L starter from 2 stubbies, fermented for 4 days)
- 15g Pride of Ringwood boiled for approx 20mins (adding maybe 4 IBU)
- 10g Pride of Ringwood in soak for 10mins

OG 1046
FG 1010

So ABV% is about 4.8%, on par with the real deal.

Big W has these Coopers cans for $11.50, versus the original cans at $10.87... overall the are better kits, but they still need some hops and decent yeast to make the most of them.

Let us know how you go.
Stef

Thanks guys, very useful information and recommendations.

Back