Cooling A Commercial Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

large

Reaction score
Gday

New here, anyway, my bar is currently lacking a keg setup.

Its all set with 2 bar fridges, not big enough for a commercial keg to fit.

I know the best solution would be to brew my own, and have the kegs fit in the fridge.

However, short term, can I use a coil of copper pipe in one of the fridges to cool the beer, I understand I need at least 2 liters of pipe, but will this work or do i just bit the bullet and go with a messy, keg on ice setup...

its still messy but i reckon you'd be better off using / making a miracle / jockey box.

search for a cold plate or there are threads here where guys have made em using coils of beer line.

personally i'd avoid the copper pipe & use beerline or stainless. occasionally members advertise stainless coils for sale.

If you make a miracle box you can then use it when you go to parties, camping, holidays etc.

thanks for the advise crozdog.
Malted, I have a close to cost deal on 50L kegs so just looking to stick with them.

thanks for the advise crozdog.
Malted, I have a close to cost deal on 50L kegs so just looking to stick with them.

Sounds familiar to me. Honestly, apart from a powered jocky box (like a commerical one that every single korean restaurant seems to use) a kegerator would be the best idea. That's what i bought mine for, prior to moving to HB and wouldn't think twice about it. Though a good jocky box would be where my money would be spent. There are other non commerical options around such as the barrel boss from KK which doesn't need topping with ice. Though, just get commerical grade hardware and be done with it..your already saving on the kegs.

After a quick check there are 50ft and 100ft SS coils on ebay for sale around the $100 mark with shipping.

Back