Cool New Brewery Toy!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
just bought two of these. Awesome little buggers.

http://www.gasmate.com.au/SCats.asp?SCatID...=12&CatID=2

I need to knock out two brews to be kegged for christmas/new years, and to get the job done, im gonna use nottingham and ferment at 18/19 in two big plastic storage boxes filled with water and rotate ice bricks as the weather gets hot. Thought these would be a good idea to keep an eye on the temp. Brewery is in the shed, i can keep the receiver with me all the time around the house and make sure it doesnt get out of control.
But then i thought, what an awesome way to keep an eye on the temp of an approaching boil. I can get boilovers easily due to having to double batch in a 50lt keg.pre boil volume is 46.4lts.
Even though they are obviously designed for cookingmeat, the probe and sensor unit will work anywhere from -10 deg up to 250.
Put the probe in the keggle, walk away and come back to babysit when its getting close. Too easy.

And they were also only $12 each at bunnings.

I used something similar in my first BIAB attempt... it was a great meat thermometer... but I believe submerging it in water for too long damaged the probe. Even once I dried it right out, it just went out of control whenever it was plugged in. It was getting a little old (maybe 2 years), so there's no way to know for sure that it it wasn't properly water proof - but it's dead now :(

Looks good. I wonder about being in liquid the entire time. There are some great wireless lab versions around....more than $12 though! $12 is worth a shot.

There is a lab equipment brand i've seen kicking around that support local wireless (to an RF unit), bluetooth support, and one with full android / iOS support. I'd love the idea of an device i could use an app on my phone for. Hitting temp..beep beep.. with real time stats.

Future upgrade for BM?

Thanks for the heads up. Had a look through the manual before purchasing it and it didnt mention the probe itself in contact with water. It mentioned the wire atached to the probe clearly but stopped short of saying the actual probe itself.

Ill kee an eye on it, but at the moment its attached to a cube which i have in the water bath aclimatisng before i throw some yeast at it. I have several thermos in there and its saying the same temp as the others. Been in the bath measuring the temp all day and so far all, is good.

Thanks for the heads up. Had a look through the manual before purchasing it and it didnt mention the probe itself in contact with water. It mentioned the wire atached to the probe clearly but stopped short of saying the actual probe itself.

Ill kee an eye on it, but at the moment its attached to a cube which i have in the water bath aclimatisng before i throw some yeast at it. I have several thermos in there and its saying the same temp as the others. Been in the bath measuring the temp all day and so far all, is good.
It's well worth playing with at that price, perfect for getting the strike water ready. Saves overshooting and then having to adjust or wait. I'll be picking on up!

I'd be more concerned about having your brews ready for your time frame.The only brew I'd try to be ready for Christmas if brewing yesterday would be a wheat with 3068.While nott is quick,if you like it,it does drink better with conditioning.

Oh, also forgot to mention it has a timer function that is really easy to use, so you could also use it for boil schedule additions.

I'd be more concerned about having your brews ready for your time frame.The only brew I'd try to be ready for Christmas if brewing yesterday would be a wheat with 3068.While nott is quick,if you like it,it does drink better with conditioning.

Yeah i was also thinking that too, but she'll be right. Ive done this recipe several times before and it'll come up ok. Its more for rapid replenshing of stocks after the hit im about to take when family come down for chrissy,so,it doesnt have to be good to go christmas morning. New years day will be fine.

Well, you could always use some sealing compound..or vac/cryo seal it :D

Well, you could always use some sealing compound..or vac/cryo seal it :D

Yeah, I reckon the weak point is where the probe is joined to the wire - maybe whacking some kind of sealant around there would help?

This looks like a nice cheap replacement too, cheers for the heads up :)

Were they on special at $12 or was that normal price? The Bunnings I went to had them for $29.95.

Bunnings seems to have different prices for different states? I got mine for $26 each today. Still more than worth it. 1 for food, 1 for beer.

Tested both - both were spot on 0 in ice water, one was 99 and the other 98 in boiling water on the stove. Using the more accurate one for beer - doesn't hurt to be 2 degrees under when cooking chicken :)

I'll post a picture soon of the "boat" I made for keeping the top of it dry while measuring a pot of water. Basically a small one of those 2-hinge snap lock containers from woolies(think STC-1000 container), with a few nails in the bottom for ballast - melted a hole just too small, and then forced the probe through it - water tight, should work great!

perfect, especially with built in timer. i'm getting one!!

Looks a handy little thing, roughly how long is the lead?

Back