Converting Co2 Fire Extinguisher

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Ive just scored myself a CO2 fire extinguisher in good condition and want to know what do I need to convert it to use in a kegerator?

Can I just phone a gas supply place like BOC and ask for a regulator to fit?

Don't know if you will get one from BOC, etc, but look at the site sponsors or even try evilbay for a regulator.

Don't know if you will get one from BOC, etc, but look at the site sponsors or even try evilbay for a regulator.

Yeh but I'm certain a standard CO2 regulator wont fit onto a fire extinguisher without some sort of adaptor and modifications to the fire extinguisher.

Ive just scored myself a CO2 fire extinguisher in good condition and want to know what do I need to convert it to use in a kegerator?

Can I just phone a gas supply place like BOC and ask for a regulator to fit?

Extinguisher will probably have a dip tube in it.
You'll need to remove that or use the extinguisher upside-down.

Best take it to a proper gas fitter type place and have them do the work.
They should be able to put new seals in it for you too.
If your Reg doesn't go straight on, it's probably better just to source a new one.

BF

Yeh but I'm certain a standard CO2 regulator wont fit onto a fire extinguisher without some sort of adaptor and modifications to the fire extinguisher.

Mine does ;)

Indeed, all the regular 3 & 5kg units I've seen fit a standard reg. There is at least one brand however (and I can't remember which!) that has a female fitting on the trigger, and would need an adaptor.

Cheers

I was thinking if you have a fire extinguisher and buy a regulator, see if it does fit and if not, as BF says, see a gas fitter to get an adapter.

Not sure if BOC would even look at you if you rock up with a fire extinguisher, I know Supagas here will only fill their own cylinders.

:icon_cheers:

Edit: too slow

Its a Wormald 3.5 kg. So your saying that I can unscrew the whole trigger mechanism, pull out the dip tube and a standard CO2 regulator will screw right on top no problems?

I was thinking if you have a fire extinguisher and buy a regulator, see if it does fit and if not, as BF says, see a gas fitter to get an adapter.

Not sure if BOC would even look at you if you rock up with a fire extinguisher, I know Supagas here will only fill their own cylinders.

:icon_cheers:

Edit: too slow

Good idea lazy brew.

So where would I get it filled then?

Hi ,

Only certain models of fire extinguisher have the thread that a regulator will fit on to.

I have one and the BOC brand reg fits it but the fire extinguishers are branded all differently.

I have a mate in the fire extinguisher game and he kept an eye out for one for me.

Its a Wormald 3.5 kg. So your saying that I can unscrew the whole trigger mechanism, pull out the dip tube and a standard CO2 regulator will screw right on top no problems?

Regulator will screw straight on, mine a Wormald 3.5 as well.

Regulator will screw straight on, mine a Wormald 3.5 as well.

Hey Batz,
are you talking about your regulator onto the existing handle, as i read it as unscrewing the whole assemble and replacing with a regulator, and if i recall the threads are different, ie one is tapered, the other straight., which could cause an accident. Not sure, but would like clarification.

Regards Tony

Like this mate:

gas.jpg

I was running mine like this prior to having the dip tube removed a couple of refills ago. Just as your fire extinguisher place when they do the fill for you, and they should be able to remove it.

Cheers

hi Nick B, do you have the gas on at all times? is that a zippy or such on the trigger. do you need the dip tube removed by someone or did you do it? sorry to hijack thread.
cheers scooza.

Hey Batz,
are you talking about your regulator onto the existing handle, as i read it as unscrewing the whole assemble and replacing with a regulator, and if i recall the threads are different, ie one is tapered, the other straight., which could cause an accident. Not sure, but would like clarification.

Regards Tony

No just screw the hose off the handle and screw the reg on. Removing the dip tube is easy but I'm not happy tell the tool challenged how to do this.

No just screw the hose off the handle and screw the reg on. Removing the dip tube is easy but I'm not happy tell the tool challenged how to do this.

Thanks,
Was not for me, my little bottle is humming along just fine, but just wanted to clarify for the O/P.

Regards Tony

Scooza - Yep, gas on at all times, no problems at all. I personally believe that the weak point in the Fire Extinguisher is the trigger, and some have had leaks when they're turning it on and off, hence the reason I leave it on, except for when force-carbonating my kegs.

Cheers

Thanks for the info guys.
So you cant remove the trigger mechanism completely and screw the reg direct to the bottle? You have to just remove the hose and screw the reg to the end of the hose outlet?

Do you just clamp your trigger open with a cable tie or something?

What about filling it up, who will fill a CO2 fire extinguisher with food grade CO2?

Scooza - Yep, gas on at all times, no problems at all. I personally believe that the weak point in the Fire Extinguisher is the trigger, and some have had leaks when they're turning it on and off, hence the reason I leave it on, except for when force-carbonating my kegs.

Cheers

Must agree with NickB here. If you want to turn off the gas for some reason just wind back the regulator without ever using the trigger to turn off. 5 years & counting with no problems (fingers crossed).
A good tip is to install a non-return valve between your reg & kegs to prevent beer backflow to the reg. Better still, also a cut-off valve + "T" piece (between non-return & reg) to allow you to purge\force carbonate kegs\ use CPBF outside your kegerator while still keeping your kegs at serving pressure.

TP

PS --- Just saw your latest post Trueman. Cable tie will do but TTBOMK all fire extinguishers come with a locking pin.

Latest posts

Back