Converted Chest Freezer Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to pick up a chest freezer I just got on ebay and I was wondering about mounting a font to the top of the freezer.

IS there anything within the top that I need to worrry about drilling though or is the top pretty safe and only the sides where there could be gas lines and other bits and pieces?

Hi Slugger

As others have said, there will be no vital bits in the lid. Only thing to keep in mind is how you secure the font to the lid. Recently I helped a mate convert a fridge. When I converted my fridge I made some wooden washers to disperse the force of the tap when you pull on the handle. We made some for my mates fridge, but when we opened up the lining, instead of hard foam for the woooden washers to fasten against, there was only soft fibreglass like roof insulation. The washers we made were basically useless and would have resulted in a lot of flexing of the thin metal door skin. Instead we had to get some much larger plywood sheet to back the metal skin with. Just something to keep in mind when attaching your font, that there is some material sufficiently strong enough to stop flexing of the freezer lid's metal skin.

Cheers
MAH

Just make sure that there isn't a light in the lid! If there is, there will be wires somewhere there... I say this as I know my freezer has a light waiting for me to run into when i *finally* get around to finishing the font :D

Matt

MAH, good point, I'll have a look once I pick the freezer up later tonight.

Thanks mobrien, don't think that will be a problem, the chest freezer is close to 25 years old, you never know though.

Thanks

I'm about to pick up a chest freezer I just got on ebay and I was wondering about mounting a font to the top of the freezer.

IS there anything within the top that I need to worrry about drilling though or is the top pretty safe and only the sides where there could be gas lines and other bits and pieces?

Hi Slugger

As others have said, there will be no vital bits in the lid. Only thing to keep in mind is how you secure the font to the lid. Recently I helped a mate convert a fridge. When I converted my fridge I made some wooden washers to disperse the force of the tap when you pull on the handle. We made some for my mates fridge, but when we opened up the lining, instead of hard foam for the woooden washers to fasten against, there was only soft fibreglass like roof insulation. The washers we made were basically useless and would have resulted in a lot of flexing of the thin metal door skin. Instead we had to get some much larger plywood sheet to back the metal skin with. Just something to keep in mind when attaching your font, that there is some material sufficiently strong enough to stop flexing of the freezer lid's metal skin.

Cheers
MAH

This has became a problem and the bottom plastic of the top is starting to crack from the weight off the font, anyone have any suggestions?

My problem is the thread is not long enough for me to put something inbetween the lid and the washer of the thead off the font.. if this makes sence...

I bolted timber to the lid and cut away the plastic under the lid so the nut tightened onto the steel,makes everything very stable.
Just use a bigger dia. holesaw on the plastic,enough to clear the nut,a spurt of expanding foam seals it again,wrap the thread in duct tape first :p

Batz

As others have said, there will be no vital bits in the lid.

Mine has a switch and lights on the front edge of the lid quoting "normal" and "super", whatever that means. :rolleyes:

I drilled a small pilot hole before going all-out and had a feel around with a bent bicycle spoke...didn't notice anything, so drilled out with the hole saw.

Low and behold, after boring it out the blade had just dirtied up (not even cut) the edge of a nice fat insulated cable running to said switch and lights...lucky :lol:

Be careful ;)

PZ.

If you have side access where you are installing the bar fridge you could always mount the font in reverse and pull the lid up towards you, put kegs in from the side.

This is my first post so go easy on me guys.

I just bought a new chest freezer after my fridge died on me. I removed the lid altogether and made up a new timber lid, lined the underside with polystyrene and hinged it at the original point on the freezer. With my font mounted on this new lid there's no need to cut any holes in the original freezer lid which is now stored under the bed :D (I always like to be able to "undo" any work I do).

Another thing worth mentioning, I have my freezer "sideways" with the hinge on one side instead of at the back. This way my whole bar top (lid) hinges to one side and I can have it and inch from the wall at the back.

Cheers,

Dave

Sounds good Snoopy & welcome to the forum - How about some pics? :)

Also, take the time to fill in your details, always good to see where the poster is from & helps with people offering local advice.

cheers Ross

Sounds good Snoopy & welcome to the forum - How about some pics? :)

Also, take the time to fill in your details, always good to see where the poster is from & helps with people offering local advice.

cheers Ross

A couple of photos of my temporary bar (The real one is still in the planing).

Bar1.JPG

Bar2.JPG

Back