Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So whats the benefit of spending hours on a site with the missus screaming 'You love that fukin beer site more then u love me'???

I get it in the start when it was an Aussie show, and people knew the owner and mods and so forth personally and it was a bit of fun and informative also.

Don't mean to pry, just got side tracked searching recipes. :p

Corny as it sounds - giving back to a community I've got a lot from over the years.

All mods are long term users, both AU admin have been here as long/longer than I have so that aspect remains.

There's still fun and information but I work a day job for cash. To be honest, the amount of time required to actually moderate is not huge, especially since the exit of various troublesome members. There's the occasional spammer, the occasional personal insult but it's not hard. I'd feel guilty taking money for my part in it.

manticle said:
Corny as it sounds - giving back to a community I've got a lot from over the years.

All mods are long term users, both AU admin have been here as long/longer than I have so that aspect remains.

There's still fun and information but I work a day job for cash. To be honest, the amount of time required to actually moderate is not huge, especially since the exit of various troublesome members. There's the occasional spammer, the occasional personal insult but it's not hard. I'd feel guilty taking money for my part in it.
Fair call Man-Tickles, Fair Call.

manticle said:

There is now a lot more moderators on AHB and that fact helps with the work load as well.
It must have been difficult when the numbers were down to three total.

So you'd all have time the clean up the Recipe DB :D

I Kid, I Kid :p

no wonder stuff like the database doesnt get done around here... to busy aquiring other forums and screwing them up to (from what i saw on THBF)

MODERATION

shaunous said:

The Recipe data base is a problem and it has been inherited from the purchase of this forum. Some may even blame Dane :unsure:
The data base goes back quite a while probably two or three forum platforms, and while I don't know the exact mechanics of the problem, it is not an easy fix nor can it be transferred to the new operating platform easily.

.DJ. said:
no wonder stuff like the database doesnt get done around here... to busy aquiring other forums and screwing them up to (from what i saw on THBF)
DJ that comment is totally unecessary and does nothing for this forum or your own credibility.

Most would realise that if the thing could be done easily then it would have already been done.

I moderate on here because I was invited to do so, and I'm happy to put something back for what the site has given me over the last 7 years or so.

I've hidden a number of posts in this thread, as they comment on or criticise another HB forum after some apparent changes to that forum. AHB prefers not to engage in such discussions.

I know it was in jest but there is a misconception about the abilities moderators are given (as opposed to site owners and admin).
Mods have no direct control over the software (and thank god cos I wouldn't know how, where or why). I can't even create sub-forums.

Yeh i used to make websites back in High School writing my own HTML codes, then a wrote a few programs also, be they fairly basic with C++, now I find it hard to open a new word document. I've lost and forgotten all I knew, probably got something to do with homebrew :ph34r:

I have been having a look in the Recipe DB a bit the last coupla days as i'm helping teach a mate brew, and have been looking for decent partial and extract recipes for him. There is a lot in their, more so in the K&K, Extract and Partial sections that are just rubbish, half finished or not have a single comment as they would clearly taste like shit. It is annoying when going through them, but its a big Database so it'd be quite the mission to clean up.

One thing that really annoys me is how people who own those plug ugly old Toyota Troop Carrier vehicles just love to say the word "Troopy":

Hey we can pick that dishwasher up in my Troopy.. not a problem, it will fit in the Troopy just fine if we raise one row of seats, I'll just back out the Troopy now and we can get in the Troopy and go down to Good Guys, in the Troopy...

FFS give me a break..... :angry:

Bribie G said:
One thing that really annoys me is how people who own those plug ugly old Toyota Troop Carrier vehicles just love to say the word "Troopy":

Hey we can pick that dishwasher up in my Troopy.. not a problem, it will fit in the Troopy just fine if we raise one row of seats, I'll just back out the Troopy now and we can get in the Troopy and go down to Good Guys, in the Troopy...

FFS give me a break..... :angry:
Eat a Snickers Bribie...you're not you if ya hungry :) :)

Just been up to Bribie Island and back and I have a suggestion for the Federal Government.

How about raising the speed limit on Winnebagos and vehicles towing caravans. Currently it's quite obvious that the speed limit is 80 kph, despite the fact that nearly all caravans nowadays are towed by quite powerful 4WD vehicles such as Nissan Patrols etc. Clearly caravan owners are currently embarrassed to be thought of as selfish kernts holding up kilometres of traffic while they seem to be idling along oblivious to the fury and frustration of people behind them.

Due to the current restrictions placed on pulling over safely with a caravan it's also impossible for them to stop and let others pass, so this law could possibly be relaxed as well, to the benefit of caravan owners as well as the general travelling public.

Don't even get me started about the Troopy pulling the Caravan near Nambucca Heads.

Local councils set speed limits, well around here anyway.

Won't it be great once this dual lane motorway from Sydney to Brisbane is finally finished.

Caravans and Winebago's should be banned full stop. If you cant travell at the speed limit with one then hand your licence in. I hate them with a passion.

Any....im off to look at a Troopy so I can drive down to Old Bar and give Bribie a snickers

dicko said:
Eat a Snickers Bribie...you're not you if ya hungry :) :)
Imagine how many snickers bars you could fit in the back of a Troopy,,,,WOW. :).
Cheers...spog...

Back