Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A smaller stores profit margins are probably not as high as you think. They don't have the buying power of a larger store.

It certainly is hard though. I try and avoid coles/woolies most of the time but our local iga has run 2 butchers and a fruit store out of business in the last couple of years by undercutting them. Certainly the lesser evil but by how much...

Black Devil Dog said:
What's with all these morons who line up at Coles and Woolworths servo's waiting in line to save a few cents a litre on fuel, when they could go to an independant servo and save more?

Example: Last Thursday I filled up at one of the independants that I go to, the price of diesel was 160.9c / litre. Every Thursday they have 2c/litre discount for tradespeople. There were about 4 cars getting refueled.

About 1 kilometre further up the road there's a Coles servo, when I drove past you couldn't help but notice the queue.

Diesel was priced at 167.9c/ litre, I didn't compare unleaded prices, but all things being equal I assume there would be a similar price difference. Even with their "discount fuel vouchers" it's still dearer.

These mega retailers have brainwashed people into thinking they're getting a good deal.
It amazes me that people will go out of their way, ie drive to the next suburb for so called cheap fuel without thinking about the cost in fuel to do so,then claim they saved $ 2.00 on their fuel !

IGA's are hit & miss with how 'independent' they are. Some stores are owned/operated by a local who is in the store themselves 7days a week working their butts off, while others such as "Ritchie's" own & run something like 70 stores across the country..

At least the IGA bottle shops sell a decent range of craft beers, and often local offerings such as IGA in Towerhill Frankston South sell both Redhill and MPB.

Bunnings opened here just before Christmas ,they are rumoured to be willing to run at a loss with the building supplies for a couple of years to get the business ?.
We have 2 building supply yards both locally owned.
As well as 2 privately owned and operated hardware shops.both franchise's
One is Mitre 10.
The other is Home hardware,which I believe is related to Bunnings in a corporate way.
I will buy from Bunnings if what I desperately need can't be found at either of the locally owned hardware shops but I want my money to stay local.
I wonder which business will go under first,too many " same " shops in a small city of under 15000 people.

Bunnings. A shop full of everything you dont need and nothing you want.

Liam_snorkel said:
IGA's are hit & miss with how 'independent' they are. Some stores are owned/operated by a local who is in the store themselves 7days a week working their butts off, while others such as "Ritchie's" own & run something like 70 stores across the country..
Yeah I think our local is a ritchies one.

Truman said:
At least the IGA bottle shops sell a decent range of craft beers, and often local offerings such as IGA in Towerhill Frankston South sell both Redhill and MPB.
Not in Qld :(

warra48 said:
Please publish the survey to support your argument on this issue.
I left out inbred as well.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Masters. Same as Bunnings but with cheaper, lower quality crap.

Ducatiboy stu said:
So untrue.

They've got just about everything, so when you do need something, they'll probably have exactly what you want.

Makes it hard for the small hardware store and it makes it hard to support the smaller ones, when they probably won't have exactly what you want.

Black Devil Dog said:
So untrue.

They've got just about everything, so when you do need something, they'll probably have exactly what you want.

Makes it hard for the small hardware store and it makes it hard to support the smaller ones, when they probably won't have exactly what you want.
No...you think they have what you need. Not what you actually need.

We don't have many fuel outlets in Port Mac, so we're mostly stuck with the Coles/Woollies Shell/Caltex lot.

The saving on a 50 litre fill at 4c a litre is only $2, and pitiful when you realise that you could save that much and more quite easily on your groceries by shopping at IGA or SuperIGA etc.

The thing that amazes me in my town is the huge number of idiots who are convinced you need to pull up to a browser on the same side as the fuel cap on their car. I've rocked up behind a queue of 7 or 8 cars waiting to get into the same browser, with the lane next to them totally empty. Do these dikkbrains not realise that the fuel hose will reach around their shitty little Daewoos, Kias or other crap oldies cars? I roll into the empty lane next to them, and I'm filled and paid up before they even move 2 or 3 spots up in their queue.

warra48 said:
The saving on a 50 litre fill at 4c a litre is only $2, and pitiful when you realise that you could save that much and more quite easily on your groceries by shopping at IGA or SuperIGA etc.
FTFY.

(I'm a spelling Nazi too :) )

We're lucky here in Caloundra, we have 4 or 5 independants, so with their price pressure we regularly have the cheapest fuel in Qld. Unfortunately other areas don't have the same pressure.

Would you like to buy a $5 chocolate and receive another 4c off your 20ltr purchase. Its a good deal.

Latest posts

Back