Computer Operating Systems.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or switch to gnucash... Free open source accounting software. We run our home accounts and two businesses on it and it works fine.

Edit - and you can import myob files straight into it...

Ducatiboy stu said:
If you really want...you can make your Linux OS look like windows...why you would want to is a seperate issue.
I think it's just laziness on my behalf that has stopped me going back to Linux. As I said previously, I'm not using my computer near as much as I used to so since I upgraded my laptop I just never got around to reverting back. Beersmith, ipod/music-syncing and minimal web-browsing is all I really use my computer for these days.

As you said though, you can make it a lot more user friendly than the windows layout.

Airgead said:
Or switch to gnucash... Free open source accounting software. We run our home accounts and two businesses on it and it works fine.

Edit - and you can import myob files straight into it...
Well.....why pay for something like MYOB when you can get an equivalent for FREE...and doesnt come with all the bullshit associated with M$.

If you have to have to have to use MYOB then my vote would have to be Windows 7. I was an XP hangout for years then eventually had to go 7 a couple of years ago with a new desktop and it's brilliant.

Friend of mine died a couple of months ago and had just bought a new desktop with Win 8. I've been helping his Mrs to skill up on the machine so she can do email, internet banking etc and it's a horrible horrible crock of doo doo.

By contrast I recently bought a quad core Android Dongle that hangs off my TV and works off my WiFi, as well as having heaps of grunt in its own right like playing stuff off USB sticks, whatever.

Fairly useless for business applications but for day to day use on the things that most people actually do with their machine like email and surfing RedTube or pirating movies it's stunning. It's my little mate, always remembers what part of a movie I've been on, shows me the pics I've taken on my mobile, goes to the last search I did on my desktop, keeps me logged into AHB etc. Not a bad machine for a free operating system and the unit only cost $90.

edit: I'd second Stu there about alternative open source software. At TAFE and Uni from the mid 90s onwards I bought every version of MS Office from Office 6 to Office XP and became very adept as it was essential to have the spreadsheet, database and Word skills. Since I got Open Office there's not much difference. The best part of buying MS Office was giving me the skills to seamlessly and intuitively use Open Office :lol:

Ducatiboy stu said:
Well.....why pay for something like MYOB when you can get an equivalent for FREE...and doesnt come with all the bullshit associated with M$.
Sometimes you work in a place that don't employ ONLY IT professionals and they need a program supported in ways that an IT savvy person won't even ask for. It is useful to have a common platform that both ends if the spectrum can utilise for all their needs, or at least most of their requirements. Usually interface to other things is fairly important, without going into ERP software which someone larger inevitably does there is this niche that still needs software that talk to each other and supported by someone you can point the blame to when things go wrong.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Thats really got nothing to do with using an open source free software package against haveing to buy one.

The OS should not matter if the software package is the same.

MS office is the same on Win as it is on Mac....except maybe file locations...

Couple of IT shops I went to.

I guess it stands to reason that once they introduced Windows 8, all other OS products were withdrawn from the market to boost sales of Win8.

Sucks to be a M$ customer then.

Install linux and ...

a: Use web based MYOB ......which is a good option cause if your PC crashes you wont loose all your stuff...you can use it on any PC....your MYOB wont be suseptable to local virus's

b: Use gnucash.

Eitherway...Linux will be your friend.

I'd never heard of Linux, Gnucash, or web based MYOB before this thread. Sucks to not be an IT geek.

Here's me thinking it would be a pretty straight forward upgrade, now I'm more confused than I was before............

You dont have to be an IT geek....its like beer.

Be a VB drinker and VB is the best beer..

Brew your own ...and never drink VB again...

Be an MS user and MS is the best..

Use Linux and never use MS ever again

step outside and stop paying money for shit beer.

Oh...and android is "basically" based on Linux.

Linux is an "emulation" of Unix...its not Unix but looks like Unix

Mac OS is derived from Unix

Unix was basically the first comercial main frame computer OS designed back in the 60's

MS designed the first "basically" PC OS

From then on...MS started to controll the market.

Linux is not Unix but looks the same but was designed to be an "open source" OS that anyonecan use and modify.

Open source is like home brew beer. We all share our recipies ( programes ) so we can make better beer.

Open source is good.

Windows 8.1 is fine to use, not overly different.
If you use the "Metro" screens it will freak you out at first, but if you boot straight to the desktop (Which is an option in the new 8.1 update) you wouldn't notice much change from Windows 7 which is similar to XP.

Most complaints people have about Windows 8 is because it is different. If you don't mind learning a couple of new tricks you will be fine.

I had to use my iphone to search how to do a slideshow of pictures off the sd card on windows 8 because it is unnecessarily convoluted.

It is like firing all your staff, moving out of the premises, taking a holiday, coming back and renting a new office with different computers and re-hiring all the old hands and telling them to get on with it.

Retarded.

And Linux is like cool...take a chair...grab a coffee...

You should see this really cool multi desktop cube...

Windoze 7 on most of my machines but I reserve one for me and Linux, currently Linux Mint but also a fan of PC LinuxOS - just for my 5c worth

IT pro with 20 years experience.

I'm a big fan of Linux, at home I used Debian exclusively for years. I am a certified Red Hat Pro... I have a couple of CentOS VM's at work which are steady as rocks and have run for years.

I stopped using Linux at home when I got into photography, I need Photoshop. GIMP doesn't cut it. RAW processing is also very poorly supported in Linux. I have a Debian VM which I play with sometimes but Microsoft got it right with Win7.
I use Windows7 at home now and it's a very good desktop OS.
It's easy to say why can't windows do this or that, just as easy to find things Linux can't do well.

Horses for courses. Nothing to be gained by implying that Windows are users are in some way a lower intelligence than people who choose Linux.
Calling it Windoze make me roll my eyes at Linux fan boys as does referring to a company founded by the greatest living philanthropist as M$.
Apple fans do a bit of this as well while worshipping a ******* of a man like Jobs.

meh.

Latest posts

Back