Computer Fan - Really Loud?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks much better mate! Though that little sucker is gonna spin pretty fast and make a fair bit of noise with all that running through it!

You could rig a speed controller for it, or just buy a cheap 120mm fan.

I have got on to a computer shop who can sell me a second hand computer fan. Now he said they they are either 5v or 12v as they are the two rails in a computer.
Now I have 2 AC adaptors a 9v 350mA and a 10v 740mA.
What combination should I go with?

I have got on to a computer shop who can sell me a second hand computer fan. Now he said they they are either 5v or 12v as they are the two rails in a computer.
Now I have 2 AC adaptors a 9v 350mA and a 10v 740mA.
What combination should I go with?

Yeah theres 5V and 12V rails in a computer power supply, I aint never heard of no 5V computer fan though.
Get the 12V fan and use either adaptor - theyll both work fine.

Yeah theres 5V and 12V rails in a computer power supply, I aint never heard of no 5V computer fan though.
Get the 12V fan and use either adaptor - theyll both work fine.
Thanks champ! ;)

Ok. I have found a computer shop that will sell me a new 80mm 12v case fan for $12. As I am only using a 10v output power supply would this fan size be big enough for a bar fridge with 2 corny's in it? And is it a good deal? I just like to buy new when I can. Rather than going to all the hassel of find an old box and tking the fan out, fitting it and then finding out its noisy or does not work.

Steve

Yup, sounds like a good price to me. Should be plenty for a bar fridge!

As I mentioned before, the 120mm will be quieter, if that is important.

I have found a place that will sell an 80mm for $8. Now are these quiet or not so much? And is this going to be big enough for a 200l chest freezer?
eric

I have found a place that will sell an 80mm for $8. Now are these quiet or not so much? And is this going to be big enough for a 200l chest freezer?
eric

It is hard to say, every fan is different. But in general the larger the fan the quieter it will be. Also the larger fan will move more air, so for something like a 200L chest freezer a single 80mm may not move as much air as you would like?

I have a 210L upright brew fridge and I have 1x 120mm and 1x 80mm in it. Works great!

eric
Eric, I recently put an 80mm fan in my 300lt chesty and it works fine. Freezer is an ambient 3 degrees top to bottom. :D

Eric, I recently put an 80mm fan in my 300lt chesty and it works fine. Freezer is an ambient 3 degrees top to bottom. :D

Sweeeeeeet, that's what I wanted to hear. :D

Ditto. Never seen a 5v fan.
Thats not to say they don't exist, but they must be rare or just starting to come out.
I reckon the 5v fans are probably the small ones on CPU's and Graphics cards etc.

The one you want for your adaptors is a new PC case ventilation fan.
Or you can salvage one from an old PC's switchmode PSU, both are 12v.
Note that some salvaged PSU fans can have flogged out bearings from years of use and can be pretty noisy.

Thanks boys, I got the 80mm 12v fan for $12. Its some kind of flash Hydrobearing/silent job that is good for 80,000 hours. Anyway, its in with my 10v power supply and I can say in all honesty that it is silent. I cant hear a thing. Its just sitting on top of my 2 kegs at the moment but it has slowed down the cycling of the fridge.
So thanks for the advice fellas.

Steve

Before the addition of the fan, the air in your freezer was stratifying - cold air at the bottom, warm air at the top. As time goes by, the layer of warm air grows thicker until it contacts the temperature sensor. That process used to take an hour. Now that you added a fan to stir the air, there is no stratification anymore. The compressor will thus cycle a little more frequently. Nothing to worry about.

The thing to consider is that with the fan installed, the entire contents of the freezer are at a consistent temperature and the temperature swings within it will be much less than without the fan.

Thanks newguy,I was under the impression that it was better for a freezer with a temp controller to only cycle about,once a hour.

However if a couple times a hour is cool,I'll run the fan

Cheers

Latest posts

Back