Computer Fan - Really Loud?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
I went and bought a computer fan today.... cost me bloody $29.95.... but anyway it is a 12V 120mm ball bearing fan and is running off a nokia phone charger (12 V 780mA) and the fan is 12V 380mA.

Now the fan is hooked up and inside the freezer however it is rather loud, even from when the lid is shut. should I:

1. buy a smaller fan
2. use a lower rated power supply
3. ignore it... I dont like this idea... others in the house will complain.

Cheers Pok

Lower the voltage. At 7V it should be almost silent and move as much air as a 80mm fan at 12V

wow, for $30 you must of got some sort of performance cooling solution. I use a 12V 80mm fan that I got for $4 brand new. Granted it isnt ball bearing but its almost silent.

Lower the voltage. At 7V it should be almost silent and move as much air as a 80mm fan at 12V

OK ... will have to search for another charger ... damn means I have to pull it apart and re-solder.

wow, for $30 you must of got some sort of performance cooling solution. I use a 12V 80mm fan that I got for $4 brand new. Granted it isnt ball bearing but its almost silent.

man I got ripped off...where did you get yours sammus?

Pok

I sourced my computer fans from a computer fair in ACT, its one of those fairs that travel all over the place so finding one shouldn't be hard,
try here http://www.computermarkets.com/
or here http://www.computerfairs.com.au/index.php?...t&Itemid=38

Otherwise, Jaycar or Dicksmith.

I posted on this thread HERE talking about how to wire up computer fans from 12V. The smaller ones pictured in that thread (80mm i think) running @ 12V should be almost silent.

Are the blades running free, i.e. the fan isn't resting on a wire rack in the freezer is it? thats the only time mine have made noise, but i just turn them up the other way, and they are happy.

Are the blades running free, i.e. the fan isn't resting on a wire rack in the freezer is it? thats the only time mine have made noise, but i just turn them up the other way, and they are happy.

The fan was sitting on top of a fee glasses just to see how it went... moved it and it is heaps quieter now.

Now next question.... should I let it run all the time???

Cheers, Pok

Continuous operation won't bother it. Should last years before the bearings go.

Excuse my ingnorance, but what are the fans used for??

...where did you get yours sammus?

I got a box of 10 for $40 at a computer fair. I can't imagine what happened to them, I dont even have a desktop computer and I only have one left :huh:

That kind of raises the question of why I bought them in the first place lol... I havent made 9 stir plates thats for sure ;)

If you circulate the air inside the fridge/freezer it eliminates thermal layering inside. Only really a problem in something like a serving/fermenting fridge that can go for a long time unopened, so the air inside isnt disturbed at all.

The fan was sitting on top of a fee glasses just to see how it went... moved it and it is heaps quieter now.

Now next question.... should I let it run all the time???

Cheers, Pok

Ok so problem not solved... I found a couple of right angle brackets from my "Meachano" years and used them to fix the fan to the collar.... closed the lid, turned it on.... and still loud..... I think the smaller powered power supply is the go... will have to score one from somewhere.

Pok

For forced convection. The air in the fridge gets moving and a better heat exchange between the cooling element and the goods (kegs, beer lines ...) is possible. So some problems (see first post in this thread) are solved.

Cheers,

Alex

EDIT: Okay, sammus was earlier ;)

Yeh, I had the same noise problems! Ended up buying a 12v power supply from Jaycar that allows me to pick from12, 9, 6.5, 5, 4.5 and 3 volts! Also used some foam insulation between the fan mounting bracket and the collar/lid, to stop vibrations being transmitted. Fan now runs silently on the 6v setting, and I've got the ability to up the fan speed by simply flicking a switch!

Cheers
Juddy

Yeh, I had the same noise problems! Ended up buying a 12v power supply from Jaycar that allows me to pick from12, 9, 6.5, 5, 4.5 and 3 volts! Also used some foam insulation between the fan mounting bracket and the collar/lid, to stop vibrations being transmitted. Fan now runs silently on the 6v setting, and I've got the ability to up the fan speed by simply flicking a switch!

Cheers
Juddy

Now that sounds like a fantastic Idea.... would be able to crank it up if the freezer is getting a run for its money for a party etc... because I store my glasses in it ....

how much were they?

Pok

Hey Pok

From memory, I like you paid around $30 for my fan. But it is the ducted ball bearing type, if that makes sense. The power supply was a similar amount I think. Looks like a normal phone charger, just has a sliding switch on the back, and from memeory it came with a set of different plugs so you can use it on different phones.(they were of no use because I simply cut the cable!)
Cheers
Juddy

Hey Pok

From memory, I like you paid around $30 for my fan. But it is the ducted ball bearing type, if that makes sense. The power supply was a similar amount I think. Looks like a normal phone charger, just has a sliding switch on the back, and from memeory it came with a set of different plugs so you can use it on different phones.(they were of no use because I simply cut the cable!)
Cheers
Juddy

Cool, just found one on ebay for half that price...i think i will invest

there's always free towers sitting on the side of the road.
maybe i should just grab one of those and rip out the power supply and the fans?

there's always free towers sitting on the side of the road.
maybe i should just grab one of those and rip out the power supply and the fans?

Sounds like a good idea to me

Why not just wire the fan in so that it switches on and off with your compressor?

If you have the thermostat probe towards the top of the fridge it should in theory be the warmest place inside it. When the compressor cuts in so does the fan. This way it only works when its needed.

Why not just wire the fan in so that it switches on and off with your compressor?

If you have the thermostat probe towards the top of the fridge it should in theory be the warmest place inside it. When the compressor cuts in so does the fan. This way it only works when its needed.

Sounds like it could work well... I might do this aswell. I got my hands on a 6.5V power supply and rigged up....much quieter now... now just to test the results :chug:

Pok

Latest posts

Back