Compensator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samhighley

Dyslexic beer dog
Reaction score
I see CraftBrewer are offering an in-line compensator designed for use "in your beer line for fast easy balancing".

Anyone tried one of these yet, and care to report back on results?

restrictor.jpg

Hi Sammy,
I just bought two of these. It seemed to work well on my first try (using an APA at low carb) but i haven't worked out how to stop my higher carbed Saison from frothing rediculously.
I'll post how i go though once i've looked into the problem further.
Cheers,
Al

I haven't seen the guts of this one, but the tricky thing with any form of "adjustable" compensator is that they nearly always introduce additional neucliation points, which can lead to foaming in the lines rather than at the faucet...

Andy

Hi guys,
i emailed Ross about them. He mentioned that he prefers the flow control taps.

He did give me this advice, which will hopefully fix my problem.
"You should have your gas pressure set to the same pressure as you've carbonated to.
If you have the pressure set any lower, gas will break out of solution when it passes through the compensator."

They look like Alumasc inline compensators / restrictors and work pretty well. There is not much in the way of additional nucleation sites inside them there is a conical plug that moves in and out of a conical bore its not liek there is just a small pinch point in them.

but i haven't worked out how to stop my higher carbed Saison from frothing rediculously.
I'll post how i go though once i've looked into the problem further.
Cheers,
Al

At $34.90 each I bet you pleased? :blink:

Hi Sammy,
well I've done as suggested by Ross and the compensators work very well, so now my fridge isn't messed with beerlines.
If i thought about it more i probalby would've got a flow restrictor tap, but i'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Cheers,
Al

Bumping an old thread...

Any one else had any experience with these ?
The idea of them and the price appeals to me... just wondered how good they are in practice.... pros, cons etc.

Bumping an old thread...

Any one else had any experience with these ?
The idea of them and the price appeals to me... just wondered how good they are in practice.... pros, cons etc.
if you haven't purchased your taps .... I think the best use of your money (an extra $35) is to spend a little more on your taps and buy taps with flow controllers.

however, not all tap types do have flow controller equivalents .. and obviously .. if you already have your taps. .. then you dont want to buy new taps if you dont have to.

There are a number of in-line compensators I think someone posted a link for ones from the UK for only $15 each.

Most comments seem to be positive about using them to eliminate rats nests.

Happy with my current taps and not looking to replace them yet.
Have no trouble balancing my system as is now... but yes... would like to tidy up the lines in my fridge.

Just wanting to see if anyone thinks they are rubbish or a PITA.

Latest posts

Back