Commercial Fridge - Fridgemate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngy

Reaction score
Just got my beer and keg fridge/coolroom finally conected.

The internal fans keep going when the compressor stops. I would rather save electricity and have both switch off with the fridgemate I have.

Just wondering is it ok to run a fridgemate on it?

I think it depends on how many amps your fans and fridge will pull together.

With my chest freezer conversion I leave the fan going all the time. Its only a PC CPU fan running off an old router powersupply, so it pulls SFA in the way of power. I want to put a switch in so it will switch off when the lid is open, but thats a job for another day....hahahah

Plus if the fan is off the air will become still and the cold air will sink, if your probe is on the bottom then you might not be getting an even temp across the whole fridge.

The most you can (or should) pull thru a standard houshold powerpoint is 10amps (could be wrong here).

If the setup is wired up and running from a normal household powerpoint already then it should be fine to run the FM I think. If its got a heavy duty wiring connection or something then I'd think twice. You might be able to rig something up with a larger relay but thats way beyond my knowledge and skill.

I'm not exactly sure how its all set up but an alternative could be to disconnect the fans from the fridge power altogether and run just the fans from one of those on/off powerpoint timers - just have them on for 1 minute out of 10 for example....

Just got my beer and keg fridge/coolroom finally conected.

The internal fans keep going when the compressor stops. I would rather save electricity and have both switch off with the fridgemate I have.

Just wondering is it ok to run a fridgemate on it?
I have a similar set up with my commercial freezer, I put a fridgemate on it as I couldnt adjust the temp setting to the right temp.
It may be false economy to not run the fans as they keep the air circulating through the cooling section.
Try to hook up a fridgemate and check how often the compressor comes on without the fans and then try normally with te fans on.
The current the fans draw will be nothing compared to the compressor.

Hope this helps

Reg

You really need the fans to keep running on a commercial fridge, they are designed to.
They help circulate the air (keeping the cabinet cooler and compressor off for longer), and evaporate the liquid in the evaporator. If they cut off with the compressor, when the compressor starts it will suck all the liquid refrigerant out of the evaporator, try to compress it and will eventually say non-nights.

Like Reg said, fans draw bugger all current.

Back