• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Commercial Examples A Particular Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charst

Reaction score
Just drank Little Creatures single batch East Kent Goldings ale and from the strength of the smell and taste i suddenly was reminded of Avec Les Bons Vux de la Brasserie Dupont. Suddenly a connection was made in my mind between the 2 and the hops used. one EKG and one styrians i think

i've thought about this ever since i started brewing. I love the variety of hops to choose from and they all have different characteristics but until you taste them in a beer on their own it's hard to identify them. Even in pellet form has a it can be difficult to connect that intense hop smell to the final product.

So can anyone list some commercial beers that people can buy that you know for a fact have a particular hop (and only that hop) in them so a brewer can get a better impression of the hop they are considering using. Examples I can think of:

Bridge Rd Brewers Galaxy IPA: Galaxy
Little Creatures EKG Ale: EKG
Pilsener Urquell: Saaz
Epic Pale Ale: US Cascade

Particularly I's like to know some german beers with Tettnang, Hallertauer Hersbucker and Hallertauer Mittelfruh as im planning oktoberfest and want to brew with hops that my mates will most connect with germany

Just drank Little Creatures single batch East Kent Goldings ale and from the strength of the smell and taste i suddenly was reminded of Avec Les Bons Vux de la Brasserie Dupont. Suddenly a connection was made in my mind between the 2 and the hops used. one EKG and one styrians i think

i've thought about this ever since i started brewing. I love the variety of hops to choose from and they all have different characteristics but until you taste them in a beer on their own it's hard to identify them. Even in pellet form has a it can be difficult to connect that intense hop smell to the final product.

So can anyone list some commercial beers that people can buy that you know for a fact have a particular hop (and only that hop) in them so a brewer can get a better impression of the hop they are considering using. Examples I can think of:

Bridge Rd Brewers Galaxy IPA: Galaxy
Little Creatures EKG Ale: EKG
Pilsener Urquell: Saaz
Epic Pale Ale: US Cascade

Particularly I's like to know some german beers with Tettnang, Hallertauer Hersbucker and Hallertauer Mittelfruh as im planning oktoberfest and want to brew with hops that my mates will most connect with germany
Mikkeller Single Hop range springs to mind... Although I'm not sure if they've gotten to the nobles much yet, have to check...

Just dry hopped our initial batch of Topaz Single Hop IPA today - had a look at AHB tonight and felt compelled to reply. It was bittered with 2010 pellets, and dry hopped with 2011 flowers. Hops came out of the Rostrevor garden on Wednesday, apparently Topaz is one of the last varieties to come off. Malt bill is simple, with 99% Maris Otter, so we have given the hop a good chance to speak. Mad 16.3% Alpha on the 2011, and also good moisture content on our parcel, so looking forward to leaving it for a week or two, and then getting it out and about. We'll probably brew one batch for bottle too.

Just dry hopped our initial batch of Topaz Single Hop IPA today - had a look at AHB tonight and felt compelled to reply. It was bittered with 2010 pellets, and dry hopped with 2011 flowers. Hops came out of the Rostrevor garden on Wednesday, apparently Topaz is one of the last varieties to come off. Malt bill is simple, with 99% Maris Otter, so we have given the hop a good chance to speak. Mad 16.3% Alpha on the 2011, and also good moisture content on our parcel, so looking forward to leaving it for a week or two, and then getting it out and about. We'll probably brew one batch for bottle too.

Sounds delicious hope it makes it to bottle so i can pick one up.

Nice thread,

Good question, and nice to see some fact, rather than opinion.

Will follow will interest, and chip in if I can.

One of the best beers I have tasted was a Topaz SMASH IPA and was discussing making one of these just a few hours ago.

I will look out for the bottle.

Fear_n_loath

Nice thread,

Good question, and nice to see some fact, rather than opinion.

Will follow will interest, and chip in if I can.

One of the best beers I have tasted was a Topaz SMASH IPA and was discussing making one of these just a few hours ago.

I will look out for the bottle.

Fear_n_loath

Cheers i'll keep firing at this thread in hope we get a good thread going because it's a question I ask everytime I task a good german pils or any commercial beer and I think mmm that's nice what hop is that. I generally have no idea unless its on the bottle or blatent like a whack off cascade. There is a whole host of blokes here with more experience than me so I hope as a group we can pic out a few beers as good sign posts for hop examples.

whack off cascade.

Hahahahahaha....."whack off".....

you must REALLY like cascade.....

sorry, i couldn't resist. It's late, i've just cubed a fresh batch of wort, and i've had a couple....

I wanted to do an experiment like this for a long time...

I would like to keep it simple i was thinking 90% MO, 5% light crystal and 5% Cara-Pils (any good?).
Obviously only using one hop type per brew... for additions i was thinking 1g/l at 30, another 1g/l at 15 and another 1g/l at flame out... then adding enough hops at 60 minutes to bring the brew up to 35ibu

That should give me enough IBU, flavor and aroma to know whats going on with each hops flavor aroma and bitterness...

To make it a true and fair experiment i would like to reduce the variables... The grain bill is a easy way to do that, only adding 1g/l per addition should make it great tasking beer (i hope) and reduce the variables further...

I will not be able to do this for a few months but that is the plan...

What do you guys thing?...

Ahhh, ha, ha... Nice call Big Nath i did not see that before...

And Chast sorry for the hijack the thread it is about commercial brews...

We should develop a table for this, and retain it in the Articles section.

My contribution: XXXX = cluster

Cheers i'll keep firing at this thread in hope we get a good thread going because it's a question I ask everytime I task a good german pils or any commercial beer and I think mmm that's nice what hop is that.

I know for a fact that German breweries like Jever and Flensburger use multiple hops in their beers, from memory actually quite a few, especially Flensburger. I have email correspondence from both of them as I enquired a while ago with them. The Flensburger guy listed most of the hops they're using (all pellets), the Jever guy was a bit more reserved. Can dig the emails out and translate if you're interested, although I guess that wold be a bit off topic, seeing it's not single hops.

Florian

I know for a fact that German breweries like Jever and Flensburger use multiple hops in their beers, from memory actually quite a few, especially Flensburger. I have email correspondence from both of them as I enquired a while ago with them. The Flensburger guy listed most of the hops they're using (all pellets), the Jever guy was a bit more reserved. Can dig the emails out and translate if you're interested, although I guess that wold be a bit off topic, seeing it's not single hops.

Florian

Still be interesting. I guess the Subject doesn't have o be limited to Single Hops as Long as we can get an Idea of the dominant hop and whatever beer is a good example displaying Hop X's flavour.

An excellent thread idea, I can't think of anything right now to contribute, but I would love to see a good list developed out of this. I really need to get a better palette for hops.

But can I suggest that everyone adding to the list cuts and pastes this list from below so we get a nice reference table that might become a AHB wiki topic? If you think of another example of beer which uses the same hops add it to the hop rather then another entry on the list.

Galaxy:Bridge Rd Brewers Galaxy IPA
EKG: Little Creatures EKG Ale
Saaz: Pilsener Urquell
US Cascade: Epic Pale Ale
Cluster: XXXX
PoR: Carlton beers

Coopers ales are all PoR as far as I know.
James Squire IPA is all fuggles as far as I know.

Certainly the dominant hop flavour in those is those mentioned hops.

Mikkeller do various single hopped IPA type beers as mentioned by bconnery.

Great idea for a thread. My contribution is Stone and Wood - Pacific Ale, Galaxy. It's on the list!

Does CPA & Cascade Premium Larger use PoR exclusively? I'm not 100% on those two. ^^pipped

Galaxy:Bridge Rd Brewers Galaxy IPA, Stone and Wood Pacific Ale
EKG: Little Creatures EKG Ale
Saaz: Pilsener Urquell
US Cascade: Epic Pale Ale
Cluster: XXXX
PoR: Carlton beers

emerson's pilsner was all Riwaka but i think they also add some nelson sauvin in there now, it is the no. 1 rated pilsner on ratebeer and it was the riwaka that got them there, shame they went for the higher AA sauvin to save on costs.

Florian
I'd love to have any information you have on Jever :)

Latest posts

Back