Combining Secondary Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono_w

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

Shoot me if this has been discussed but,,

I have three 20L batches of a Blonde that were all brewed within a day of each other using the same US 56 yeast.
Just wondering if I could put all these into the same secondary fermenter? It will all be drunk in one night so I would like the batches to be blended eventually anyway.

Thanks.

Jonathon.

No problem, blend it. Just make sure that you taste them all first in case one is infected/sour.

Hey Brewers,

I have three 20L batches of a Blonde that were all brewed within a day of each other using the same US 56 yeast.
Just wondering if I could put all these into the same secondary fermenter? It will all be drunk in one night so I would like the batches to be blended eventually anyway.

Thanks.

Jonathon.

depends how big your secondary fermenter is :huh: :p if its more than 60 litres, then yes.

Hey Brewers,

Thanks.

Jonathon.

Yes you could do that, however there is really no reason to rack an ale unless you are going to condition it for ages before kegging or bottling, all you need to do is crash chill your fermenter when your target gravity is reached.

cheers

Browndog

depends how big your secondary fermenter is :huh: :p if its more than 60 litres, then yes.
Yeah 60L . :lol:

Yes you could do that, however there is really no reason to rack an ale unless you are going to condition it for ages before kegging or bottling, all you need to do is crash chill your fermenter when your target gravity is reached.

cheers

Browndog

The reason is that I need more fermenters, I have these three 20L batches each in there own 60L fermenter, If I combine them I will free up two fermenters..

Thanks for the help lads..
:beerbang:

Yeah 60L . :lol:

The reason is that I need more fermenters, I have these three 20L batches each in there own 60L fermenter, If I combine them I will free up two fermenters..

Thanks for the help lads..
:beerbang:

Out of interest - Any reason why you didn't ferment them together in the 1st place?

cheers Ross

Out of interest - Any reason why you didn't ferment them together in the 1st place?

cheers Ross

Yeah, I wondered how long until someone picked up on that :p
A bit of a mental block when I was brewing, My machine does about 20L a brew, I did the first batch and threw the yeast in , then the second and third. I thought about it after, wasn't sure that I should disturb it a day after pitching the yeast, Probably could have?

Yeah, with US-56 I think the yeast would have adapted alright to the poor treatment. I cannot see any reason you would not have gotten the same result from fermenting them all in the same fermentor, except that US-56 tends to go off with a good high krausen and may have spewed a bit with 60L of wort in a 60L fermentor.

Tell me more about your "machine" that makes beer...

It makes beer? :D

Noice, :super:

Latest posts

Back