Combined fridge/freezer with dual compressor or other way of dual temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I googled without much success. Is there any fridge freezer combo where you can still have the freezer keeping things (my hops) frozen, and the fridge compartment at whatever temp needed between say 0-19 degrees - as sometimes I'd use it for fermenting and sometimes for crashing/kegging?

Eg. anyone found models that have dual compressors, or some other way of independent temp control in the fridge and freezer compartment?

Cheers,
Bruce

Yes. Google 'dual compressor fridge freezer'. The cost of dual compressors seem to be prohibitive for the average HB. Here's one example https://www.keoghsmarine.com.au/Nova-Kool-RFU9200-12-24V-258-Litre-DUAL-Compressor-Fridge-Freezer---Two-Door-Upright-Independant-Thermostatic-Control-RFU9200

The issue is that I don't think they have separate power cords for each, so some electrical work would need to be done on top of the $2000 plus price tag. Better to get a stand alone fridge and stand alone mini freezer for the two separate purposes. Probably pickup both for between $150-200 on Gum tree with a little patience.

I have two temperature zones in my fermentation chamber but only one source of coolth, an old freezer with temperature control on the first chamber.

The temperature control on the second chamber operates a fan ducting in air from the first compartment for cooling and a small heater for warming. I'm thinking of uprating the fan and adding servo control of the vent covers to improve efficiency but it works OK as is.

I can't see why you couldn't do the same thing on an old fridge / freezer. You'd probably need to improve the insulation between compartments: I used the 50mm Knauf high density EPS board available from the green shed, works a treat.

bingggo said:
Howdy folks,

I googled without much success. Is there any fridge freezer combo where you can still have the freezer keeping things (my hops) frozen, and the fridge compartment at whatever temp needed between say 0-19 degrees - as sometimes I'd use it for fermenting and sometimes for crashing/kegging?

Eg. anyone found models that have dual compressors, or some other way of independent temp control in the fridge and freezer compartment?

Cheers,
Bruce
A few years ago my fermenting fridge freezer stopped working so I rigged up a temporary solution by freezing a cube and few PET bottles of water in a chest freezer then putting them in the freezer compartment of the dead fridge freezer. I then used a computer fan controlled by an STC to blow cold air down to the fridge section. It worked really well right through the summer till I got myself a working fridge.

I haven’t tried this but what I’m thinking is you could have the existing fan from a working fridge freezer disconnected and wired directly to an STC to control the temp in the fridge.

Or use a computer fan to control the temp in the fridge/fermenting chamber. You may need to play around with placement of a computer fan though so it doesn’t freeze. Maybe place it in the fridge with a pipe up to the freezer.

Latest posts

Back