Cold crash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all

Have a pumpkin ale fermenting. LOTS of sediment, very hazy, thought this would be a good time to give cold crashing a go.

I have read and seen on a few clips that the fv will want to suck air in as the temp drops, hence sucking the airlock water in.

Just wondering if anyone has any solutions for this?

Cheers

Fill the airlock with vodka?

My fermenter doesn't even have an airlock.

Depends if your lid and airlock have airtight seals or not. Mine never did when I used the airlock on it, so I didn't have this issue.

You could always remove the airlock and stick a piece of gaffa tape over the hole in the lid. This is how my FV is permanently set up now, so I can use the top shelf in the fridge for storing bottles. The lid isn't completely airtight so the gas still escapes.

They do, but don't think they're overly effective. Plus have stopped tightening the lid fully, as was having issues unscrewing it!

Might just go for it, either use some vodka like panzerd suggested, or sterilised water.

Would vodka have much effect on the beer if it got sucked in?

That's sort of what I meant. Mine has seals too but they aren't airtight. I also do the same with the lid for the exact same reason. The airlock never bubbled during fermentation so I figured it wasn't gonna do anything back the other way during CCing either. :lol:

Vodka won't have any effect on the beer save for a few extra mL of alcohol, which is 23 litres or so, isn't gonna make any difference. It has no flavour either, so it won't affect that at all.

use sanitised water in you're airlock I use Huwa San no rinse
Gad wrap it instaed of lid

Put the temp down to 3 last night, only got down to 11 overnight.

Took the controller off this morning and just cranked the fridge up, still only got it down to 10.

Will fiddle around with the fridge and controller this Avo, but if I can't get it any lower should I just bump it back up to ferment temp(18)?

Crisis averted. Just got home, down to 3.5, airlock still full, worrying about nothing, as usual.

Thanks guys

It's good to hear it worked out.

IME non-boiled, non-sanitised water getting sucked back through wasn't an issue. However that happened when I was new to brewing and only to a couple of batches - so hardly evidence of good practice.

My new approach which has worked for many, many batches is to use sanitiser in the airlock (I use phosphoric but any no-rinse sanitiser would work - diluted as per the instructions of course). The tiny amount that gets sucked back through is nothing to worry about and you greatly reduce the risk of infection.

My last advice is to not over-fill the airlock. I use an "S" airlock and if I don't fill it too much it doesn't suck anything back while still maintaining a proper airlock. Actually, that should be the first advice...but whatever.

Happy brewin'

Check out a new product called the Sterilock, available from Full Pint

Goodbeer said:
Put the temp down to 3 last night, only got down to 11 overnight.
I find it normally takes about a day to come all the way down from ferment temp to CC temp. It's a lot of liquid to bring down in temp so it does take a while.

Sweet thanks guys.

Was planning on bottling tomorrow night, am away Friday for 10 days, so would be 24hrs going from 18 to 3, and 24hrs at 3.

Too soon to bottle?

It wouldn't be too soon to bottle but my preference would be to leave it for the 10 days. This isn't based on anything except my own processes and preferences when it comes to cold crashing, though.

I suppose it depends on your reasons for doing it. I do it mainly to drop more yeast out before bottling, and I'm not sure a day or two would drop a whole lot out, which is why I always give it a week minimum.

Goodbeer said:
Sweet thanks guys.

Was planning on bottling tomorrow night, am away Friday for 10 days, so would be 24hrs going from 18 to 3, and 24hrs at 3.

Too soon to bottle?
I have cold crashed my last 5 ales since getting temp control for my fridge ,all for different lengths from a few days to a few weeks

from what I've seen 3 days is the minimum I'd do, but I try for a week . I did 3 days on my last beer cause I wanted to clear my fermenter for my next beer and there was a good amount of yeast in the bottom of the fermenter but I wouldnt want to do it any shorter. def allot clearer with a week

Thanks again.

I'm not putting my next brew down for two weeks, but wanted this one ready in 3...decisions decisions

Give it the 10 days to allow it to clear up, otherwise you will probably finish with a hazy beer or a lot of sediment in the bottle.

Cant rush these things, either way I would not be drinking it in 3 weeks.

I cold crashed my lager, sucked in the vodka i had in the airlock, didn't affect it at all

I try to cold crash for 2 days, then rack off to a secondary and keep chilling for another week. My reasoning is I dont want my fermented beer sitting on the yeast too long, as it may pick up unwanted/unpleasant flavours/odours.

You have to leave it sitting on it for a pretty long time to pick up unwanted flavours etc.. A one or two week cold crash is not long enough for this to happen, at least in mine and it would appear a lot of others' experiences. I'd be ditching the infection risk of transferring to a secondary and just giving it a week in the primary. I'd bet you'll notice no difference in the finished beer.

I've often wondered about the idea of it sitting on the yeast too long - why is this never seemingly an issue in bottle conditioned beer, which sits on the yeast for months and months sometimes? :unsure:

Latest posts

Back