Cold Conditioning And Weizen - Probably A Stupid Question...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
Hi All,

About to start my second brew tomorrow and I'm making a basic weizen with 3068 liquid yeast. Now i know that this yeast is a low flocculant one so it will remain in suspension and also that weizen is supposed to be cloudy but should I be CC it? I believe CC is only used to drop the yeast out so it's probably not needed but I thought I'd better check.

Additionally can anyone give me some advice regarding the best temperature to ferment this at and how long I should keep it in the fermenter post the gravity stabilizing?

Thanks!

Zarniwoop

Ferment temp will depend on what you want from the yeast, more banana esters, 21-22, less banana and more noticable clove esters, a bit cooler 18c. I personally like it at 20c. I also wouldn't bothe CC'ing. The thing I love about this yeast is as soon as the beer is carbed, it's ready to drink, I also find any more than a couple of months in the bottle fades the characteristics

I wouldn't bother with CCing - weizens are best drunk fresh. The strain may produce sulfur so you may need to CC for a little bit to get rid of it.

In terms of ferment temps - what are you trying to achieve - more banana esters or clove phenolics? Fermenting around 22c will produce more banana than clove, fermenting lower will produce more clove than banana.

JZ suggests it's best to ferment cool (17C), but different temperatures will push different esters and aromas so it depends on what you're looking for.

In terms of ferment temps - what are you trying to achieve - more banana esters or clove phenolics? Fermenting around 22c will produce more banana than clove, fermenting lower will produce more clove than banana.

Good question, I don't really know I'm new to brewing so I'm trying a few different styles and this is my first Weizen. I've spent a bit of time in southern Germany (Regensberg for anyone that knows the area) and I was very partial to the wheat beer I drank there so if anyone knows if it tends to be one way or the other i'd appreciate the advice?

Sounds like it won't take long to condition in the bottle, any recommendations for time?

Sounds like it won't take long to condition in the bottle, any recommendations for time?

Drink it when it's fizzy. It only gets worse (loses flavour) if it's stored on live yeast. I believe the commercial weizens are often filtered and carbed and then a lager yeast is put in them for cloudiness, but it's dead.

Latest posts

Back