Co2 Regulator Suggestions Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vitalstatistix

Reaction score
Hi ALL

I am about to get into kegging (no more bottling, Yippee!!) and am looking around at all of the different components needed. I am after quality components and would love some advice about the best regulator to get. I am currently thinking about the "Dual Pressure (Harris)" like the ones sold at CB (http://www.craftbrewer.com/shop/details.asp?PID=838) but am open for sugestions.

Also advice on the best course of action to take as far as gas bottles go would be very much appreciated.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,
AG.

The regulator you posted link to I can not comment from own experience but other that have used it has says it as good as any.

The Micromatics are good too not sure about the prices differences.
Micromatic also has repair kits.

I got my gas bottle from Ubrewit as it was cheaper then the alternatives at the time.

Look into the AHB wiki on Kegging.
There is a beginner section there.

Also investigate non return valves as insurance from ruining your regulator by getting reverse pressure and beer into it.
(Speaking from experience and $50 later.)

There is multiple ways to ger around this but I cant post about it as I don't know where to look.
Fire extinguishers etc has been mentioned before

Google search is your friend

Ive got a harris single pressure and have no issues with it... protected with a non return valve close to the keg disconnect. the main added bonus for the micromatic is the inbuilt pressure release valve.

Ive got a Mykeg on legs setup. pays itself off in 3 years and the gas refill is rather cheap too... ive had mine for a long while now, around 1 1/2 years and have kegged around 20+ batches , thats force carb and dispensing. The onyl difference with me copared to mist is my gas is not permanently connected so after dispensing a few beers i reconnect and gas up to serving pressure again.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Micromatic also has repair kits.
Do gas regulators wear out or break often or anything. Are there things I should be aware of on this front?

Also investigate non return valves as insurance from ruining your regulator by getting reverse pressure and beer into it.(Speaking from experience and $50 later.)
protected with a non return valve close to the keg disconnect.
This sounds like good advice!! I think the Harris regs come with the non-return valves built in but I might get some more to put near the keg as Fourstar suggests.

Cheers,
AG.

Any one got any comments on CIGWELD brand regulators. I can get one on the work account through one of our suppliers.

Any one got any comments on CIGWELD brand regulators. I can get one on the work account through one of our suppliers.

I have one of the cigweld regs, have had it for around 4 years now. Works a treat, it is what my local HBS was selling at the time.

Rob.

Cigweld regulator let me down after 12 months, I'm not saying that thay are no good as I'm sure may people have been using them with no problems. I went over to the Harris as in the photo above and still going strong after 4 years.

I have a Harris that CB sells as they were out of Micomatics at the time. Nothing wrong with the Harris regs but Micromatic has the presssure release valve and the advantage that it is servicable and parts are easier to source in any unfortunate events. I will be getting one in the near future and demoting the Harris to the portable setup. Spend the few extra coin and wont be disappointed with a Micromatic.

My 2c FWIW

Cheers

Sully

I've got a Micromatic. Recently I loaned it out to a mate for a pissup I couldn't attend (just bought may baby girl home that day and I value my testes), unfortunately the regulator was dropped and the LP gauge was broken. I ordered one off the net last week (hopefully everything else is working fine. I tried to get the part from BOC and the Air Liquid dealers but they could not help me.

From this, I would suggest getting one that you can get spares for relatively easily.

:beer:

Also investigate non return valves as insurance from ruining your regulator by getting reverse pressure and beer into it.
(Speaking from experience and $50 later.)

I have filled my micro matic full of beer so many times (derrrr :ph34r: !!)
but it still works fine, not that i reccomend it, but it seemed to handle it okay :)

my 2c

Back