Cloudy Samples

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase71

Out of Order
Reaction score
I'm presently doing a Squire GA inspired brew, and after around 8 days in primary I tapped a sample for the purposes of reading the gravity. What I found was that the test-tube sample was very, very cloudy - more than any beer Ive experienced. It was not unlike the look of refrigerated honey (or candied honey?)

The view from the top of the barrel looked clear, and I have since racked to secondary - and while there might have been a bit more trub than usual, it wasnt too different.

I'm yet to pull a sample from the secondary tank, but wondering if anyone can suggest why this might be the case.

I used an american ale yeast - the Fermentis (S-05?) product. And I also added 100g of Dextrose & 100g of Maltodextrine over a 23litre batch.

I have done a brew before that for some reason the trub got into the tap and made the first draw clowdy but when i had finish bottling the trub was no where near the height of the tab so it must have jst settled in the tap some how it has only happened to me once or twice

so this would be my guess

I'm presently doing a Squire GA inspired brew, and after around 8 days in primary I tapped a sample for the purposes of reading the gravity. What I found was that the test-tube sample was very, very cloudy - more than any beer Ive experienced. It was not unlike the look of refrigerated honey (or candied honey?)

The view from the top of the barrel looked clear, and I have since racked to secondary - and while there might have been a bit more trub than usual, it wasnt too different.

I'm yet to pull a sample from the secondary tank, but wondering if anyone can suggest why this might be the case.

I used an american ale yeast - the Fermentis (S-05?) product. And I also added 100g of Dextrose & 100g of Maltodextrine over a 23litre batch.

I did a Kits and Bts JSGA and experienced much the same thing, I put it down to the fact I had 250g wheat malt in it.
Primary 7 days, racked quite cloudy to secondary for 10 days, was still cloudier than normal when bottled but cleared well in bottles and was a nice drop after two weeks. Also used US-05.

Nige

Jase, I have found that US-05 takes a while to flock out and as others have said the trub may have not fully settled yet. Check it in the seconday as you have said. Give it some time all will be good.

Cheers
Gavo

Latest posts

Back