Cloudy Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long did you ferment for? Secondary? Kegged or bottled? How long since then? (Obvious one but I've got to ask.)

Which yeast did you use on the clear beer? Did you use the yeast on another batch that was cloudy?

Did you use the fermenter that the clear beer was in for another batch before or after?

How long are you mashing for? As somebody else asked, how sure are you of your thermometer? :p

How long did you ferment for? Secondary? Kegged or bottled? How long since then? (Obvious one but I've got to ask.)
Ferment, 2 weeks-ish, sometimes three. Depends on the beer and when it's reached stable FG
2ndary, No
Kegged
Remains cloudy till keg is drunked.. and they all get drunked, because they taste good, just look muddy.

Which yeast did you use on the clear beer? Did you use the yeast on another batch that was cloudy?
Cant remember, didnt log it for some reason. Probably US05, reused to be cloudy, yes.

Did you use the fermenter that the clear beer was in for another batch before or after?
2 fermenters used on all five brews, not sure who lived in where, tho.

How long are you mashing for? As somebody else asked, how sure are you of your thermometer?
I actually used three thermometers in the last two mashes because I was worried about this. variance between the three of them was less than .5 of a degree, which amazed the Bowie out of me.

mash PH
I dont know how to do an iodine test, and I dont have any sci-fi gear. Is it easy? Seems like most likely candidate. I may have to revise my mash processes, I reckon. Surely it has to be starch haze, but efficiency is right up there in the high 60s and low to 70s like it always is unless I make giant malt monsters.

Old ingredients.
Possibly... hops are probably a year old, but kept in the freezer in clingfilm, zip lock or original foil bags, but not sure why one would be good and the others all mong. I would have also thought that oxidisarion of base ingredients would be irellavent due to the boil process reducing the oxygen count in the boil. Its really not so much haze, as opacity. Umm ... imagine two table spoons of milk in a cup of tea.

Old equipment
All my equipment was old when I got it, and I have NO hoses or pipes in my system and havent since I had a horrid infection about five years ago.

Microscope
I dont know anyone with one of them.

get some iodophor (G&G)

at end of mash, drop a couple of drops of wort into a dish and take a pinhead or two worth of iodophor into it.

If the iodophor streaks turn blue you have an unconverted starch problem. Maybe the malt you got is really good and can give better conversion than you are using it for.... Either way, this should address the starch doubt.

Cheers

Back