Cloudy Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
Ive made over 100 AG brews in the past three years, and have had some pretty good results.
But after a 3-5 month break, of the last five brews Ive made, four of them have come out cloudy.

Why might this be?

I dont recall changing any processes, they all taste fine, they all just look like hoegaarden, even the brown ales!

Ive made over 100 AG brews in the past three years, and have had some pretty good results.
But after a 3-5 month break, of the last five brews Ive made, four of them have come out cloudy.

Why might this be?

I dont recall changing any processes, they all taste fine, they all just look like hoegaarden, even the brown ales!

Maybe your protein rest is too short? Or maybe you've used oats or some other adjunct that has a high protein content?

:icon_cheers:

That's weird, i just had exactly the same thing happen to a brew after a long break. I also noticed i'm not getting obvious hot break in the kettle. I've been wondering if my burner has rusted up a bit or corroded a bit and affected my boil. Still other beers are coming out clear and tasting good so who knows.

Maybe your protein rest is too short? Or maybe you've used oats or some other adjunct that has a high protein content?

0 adjuncts other than liberal and unashamed use of table sugar

Could you describe to me your view on how protien rest works, please.
I had thought it might be this, but never really got my head around what they are.

SB - are you using lots of wheat or unmalted grains in the grist?

After spending counteless batches trying to rectify my haze issues maybe i can shed some light.

are you using different water (Have you moved since?)
Is your grain from the same maltsters (protein levels can have differences batch to batch, MFG to MFG. You MAY need a protein rest but doubtful)
Still using kettle finings?
are these BIG HOPPY BEERS?
Is it permanent haze or chill haze?
Are you filtering?

Also, as you are using sugar this is diluting the protein levels somewhat so it should be alleviating your haze issues (i have issues with chill haze in beers made with Crisp maris otter but if its cut with 7-10% sucrose it alleviates most issues. Now by also using brewbrite it will be even better.)

seems like it could be some type of permanence haze.

0 adjuncts other than liberal and unashamed use of table sugar

Could you describe to me your view on how protien rest works, please.
I had thought it might be this, but never really got my head around what they are.

Not sure if it will help, but still the protein rest

Different yeasts:
Danstar Nottingham
Wyeast American Ale II
Wyeast Belgian Abbey II
US05

are you using different water (Have you moved since?)
Have not moved.
Is your grain from the same maltsters (protein levels can have differences batch to batch, MFG to MFG. You MAY need a protein rest but doubtful)
Most likely.. Ive never been fussy about malt source, but have variously used three different base malts.
Still using kettle finings?
Err... yes.. when I remember.
are these BIG HOPPY BEERS?
No.. but all dry hopped in the fermenter, save one. The good clear one was dry hopped extensively.
Is it permanent haze or chill haze?
permenant.. not haze, more cloud
Are you filtering?
no, wash your mouth out! :p

They all taste fine, they just look like hoegaarden

Probably a long shot, but any chance you can get a sample of the cloudy beers under a micro-scope? Anyone in a brew club that has that sort of equipment. Would be good to see if it can be identified, but I'm sure you probably thought of that.

There seems to be a link between your time away from brewing and your new problem, so I am thinking of two things that may be important:

- Are you using old ingredients (particularly old hops that may have oxidised during storage and could be giving permenant haze as opposed to chill haze)

- Are you introducing bacteria through old syphon's / plastic equipment that has been sitting around collecting dust. Doesn't sound like it from your description so probably rule that out.

Was there any different process or equipment / ingredient that differed with regards to age / time since use between the clear beer and the cloudy one.

This is shitting me and it's not even my beer!

Are you filtering?
no, wash your mouth out! :p

ahh well see theres your problem, you have to use a filter otherwise your beer will be cloudy and taste like hop resins and trub and you'll waste heaps and youll have mature it for years! :p

seriously ive got this problem at the moment too.

I'm pegging the potentially old hops ive got.

Do you do starch/iodine tests at the end of your mash? Might just be flourz in the beer from mashes being cooler than you think and needing more time for complete conversion.

I would be checking mash ph and if you sparge try adjusting starting PH if it is a problem?
Even though you have not moved does not mean your water has not changed.

Back