Cleaning The Outside Of A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintmo

Reaction score
Hey all,

what do you guys use to clean the outside of your cornelius kegs... to 1st get those stickers off, and then 2nd to give a nice shiny finish (so you need sunglasses to look at your SS equipment)

clint

Hey all,

what do you guys use to clean the outside of your cornelius kegs... to 1st get those stickers off, and then 2nd to give a nice shiny finish (so you need sunglasses to look at your SS equipment)

clint

I soaked mine in a very strong napisan mix, soaked the labels and glue off no problems.

I never bothered getting them all shiny though, do not know if its worth the effort given you dont get to see them very much, that being said, next time I am at Bunnings I will be picking up a polishing kit for my HLT, Mash Tun and Kettle. Get those suckers all polished as they are on display all the time!

I'm a chronic keg polisher. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To get your kegs nice and shiny, soak any stickers or labels with water and then scrape them off gently with a paint scraper. You can remove the sticky residue with some of that citrus based sticky remover. Once the stainless is clear of this stuff, you can give them a nice polish up using Jif or some other cream based cleaner and steel wool with a little bit of water. I haven't tried Brasso/Steelo, that might work as well

De-solve it is an orange smelling citric-based spray that takes care of the stickers and then it's out with the brasso, soft cloth and some elbow grease!!

Cheers,
TL

Edit: As for the large 50L kegs, I find coarse then very fine sandpaper on a finishing sander does a great job of removing rust, scratches etc and brings the keg shaped kettle and HLT looking like new...
med_gallery_204_125_4828.jpg

P.S. Dont forget to "armour-all" the rubber foot and handles too!

we're about to start doing a few keg swaps. in fact, i have one of Rehnton's bitters in the fridge now :)
I want to label my kegs so we each get our own kegs back
who was doing the die-cut stickers?

Latest posts

Back